• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Infection in the respiratory tract

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
Last Thursday when I went to feed them in the morning, Jam was sneezing a lot and making a grunting sound. I took him straight to the vets and they said it was an upoper respiratory tract infection, possibly triggered by that bout of very cold weather we had. He was given a week's course of Baytril. He seemed to be improving, with much less sneezing and virtually no grunting sounds. Today , however he has sneezed quite a few times and has a very slight amount of white discharge from the nose.
I will be taking him back to the vets and wondered what treatment I should expect them to offer? I am guessing they will suggest a stronger course of antibiotics? He seems pretty happy appart from the sneezing and I haven't heard any further grunting.

Hi!
The vet will probably give you another weeks course of Baytril to se if that clears up the infection. This is no way meant to scare you, but we have not been able to shift Loki's snuffles since November. We have had weeks of Baytril and then on to Septrin and finally we have had a swab taken to see if the vets can determine what antibiotic will respond to it the best (something about 30 types of pasturella!). Many other rabbits get snuffles and Baytril clears it up completly, so please don't be worried. I'm sure when you take Jam back to the vets they will be able to give him the best treatment!

Ali

My Vet always says that Septrin is better than Baytril for Respiratory tract infections. Its not a 'stronger' antibiotic as such but works on a different range of Bacteria in a different way. If Jam has a lot of mucus some Bisolvon might help the secretions. Its also important to ensure the infection is not in his lungs and your Vet should have a good listen to Jam's chest

Janex :)

Ali - Loki said:
Hi!
The vet will probably give you another weeks course of Baytril to se if that clears up the infection. This is no way meant to scare you, but we have not been able to shift Loki's snuffles since November. We have had weeks of Baytril and then on to Septrin and finally we have had a swab taken to see if the vets can determine what antibiotic will respond to it the best (something about 30 types of pasturella!). Many other rabbits get snuffles and Baytril clears it up completly, so please don't be worried. I'm sure when you take Jam back to the vets they will be able to give him the best treatment!

Ali

Has your Vet tried your Bun on Penicillin Injections, Marbocyl, Oxytetracycline or Doxycycline?

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
My Vet always says that Septrin is better than Baytril for Respiratory tract infections. Its not a 'stronger' antibiotic as such but works on a different range of Bacteria in a different way. If Jam has a lot of mucus some Bisolvon might help the secretions. Its also important to ensure the infection is not in his lungs and your Vet should have a good listen to Jam's chest

Janex :)

Thanks Jane. He did have a good listen last time and said his chest was clear. I expect he will do the same again this time. I will ask him about the Septrin if he doesn't suggest it.

Ali - Loki said:
Hi!

Ali

I'm not too worried - its just that it came on so suddenly it gave me a bit of a fright! Hope Loki can make a good recovery.

Thanks Space Girl - we could do with some vibes at the moment! I hope that the next trip to the vets will have Jam cleared up of the snuffles and happy. As an aside Loki did have a very nasty trip to the vets on Friday within the space of five minutes he had a thermometre up his bottom, the metal thing down in his mouth to check his teeth and a swab up his nose. He was not a hppy bunny and I had to promise him free run of the house and sofa when we got home to cheer him up :)

Took all four of the group to the vet yesterday and he found signs of illness in all of them ranging from very slight noise when listening with the stethoscope to white discharge from the nose and rattling chest sounds :( All of them are on a 5 day course of Septrin and I am taking Jam (who is the worst) back on Monday and any others that aren't doing well to be checked again. Get well wishes for the gang please!

Spacegirl said:
Took all four of the group to the vet yesterday and he found signs of illness in all of them ranging from very slight noise when listening with the stethoscope to white discharge from the nose and rattling chest sounds :( All of them are on a 5 day course of Septrin and I am taking Jam (who is the worst) back on Monday and any others that aren't doing well to be checked again. Get well wishes for the gang please!

Oh dear :cry:

I know Vets differ but my Vet always says that Septrin should be given for a minimum of 7 days. She says this is because short courses are either unlikely to be curative symptoms-wise or will increase the risk of antibiotic resistance.

Sending get well vibes for your Buns

Janex

Awwww, good luck for the gang! :( I hope it's nothing serious. Jam started a while before you got the new hutch, right? So it won't be that at least.

Help! My beloved Mr. P. is poorly!

Tuesday, I noticed that he was sneezing and coughing, especially when drinking water. On Wednesday morning he was off his food and he had got a really rattly chest, so I rushed him round to the vets.

He has had teeth problems in the past, so when the vet checked him, she said he had developed spurrs again and an abcess and therefore needed a dental operation. She booked him in for Thursday morning.

Thursday afternoon, I went to collect him after the op, and it was a totally different vet. She said she had done the op, and that his teeth were not actually that bad, and although his mouth was sore, did not find an abcess.

She concluded that he may have Pasturella and a chest infection, so gave him an antibiotic injection and sent me home with 7 days supply of Baytril to give him. She also asked to see him again the next day just to check things out.

So I went back last night, and this time saw the first vet again. She looked in his mouth and said all looked fine. When I told her what the other vet had said, she said his chest would have been much worse if he had got Pasturella, but to keep administering the antibiotics. So I came home totally confused and angry. It appeared that the two vets were not communicating and I was piggy in the middle!

My bunny is still very lethargic today and totally off his food. His rattling chest is much better, but he looks like his mouth is very sore and is chewing & dribbling all the time. All I can get him to eat is a bit of grated carrot or small pieces of bread with the Oxebow critical care food spread on it. He is actually worse now than the morning he went in for his dental operation.

So, has anyone got any suggestions?

Is it safe to feed him bread?

What food can I try to tempt him with?

Any advice would be great!

Dussy Hoppers said:
Help! My beloved Mr. P. is poorly!

Tuesday, I noticed that he was sneezing and coughing, especially when drinking water. On Wednesday morning he was off his food and he had got a really rattly chest, so I rushed him round to the vets.

He has had teeth problems in the past, so when the vet checked him, she said he had developed spurrs again and an abcess and therefore needed a dental operation. She booked him in for Thursday morning.

Thursday afternoon, I went to collect him after the op, and it was a totally different vet. She said she had done the op, and that his teeth were not actually that bad, and although his mouth was sore, did not find an abcess.

She concluded that he may have Pasturella and a chest infection, so gave him an antibiotic injection and sent me home with 7 days supply of Baytril to give him. She also asked to see him again the next day just to check things out.

So I went back last night, and this time saw the first vet again. She looked in his mouth and said all looked fine. When I told her what the other vet had said, she said his chest would have been much worse if he had got Pasturella, but to keep administering the antibiotics. So I came home totally confused and angry. It appeared that the two vets were not communicating and I was piggy in the middle!

My bunny is still very lethargic today and totally off his food. His rattling chest is much better, but he looks like his mouth is very sore and is chewing & dribbling all the time. All I can get him to eat is a bit of grated carrot or small pieces of bread with the Oxebow critical care food spread on it. He is actually worse now than the morning he went in for his dental operation.

So, has anyone got any suggestions?

Is it safe to feed him bread?

What food can I try to tempt him with?

Any advice would be great!

Hello

It might be better to start a new thread about your Bunny :)

Did the Vet give him any pain relief? If his mouth hurts he wont want to eat.
Is he pooing? If not he will also need some gut motility medication. I would phone the Vets again now as it sounds as though your poor Bun is not happy :cry:

Bread is not really good to feed as the carbohydrate content is high which may upset his guts. As he is on antibiotics his guts are at risk of being upset anyway and carbs will add to the problem
I would syringe feed the critical care although this may be difficult if his mouth is very sore.

I hope he soon feels better

Janex

Back