• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worming

Do you worm your buns

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I do not think it is necessary

• No - but I will start getting my buns done

• Not really considered this before

• Total voters

BirdieBun

Wise Old Thumper
I know this has been discussed before but how many of you worm your buns? I am wondering if I should start as it was advertised everywhere at my vets yesterday :shock:

Beebop said:
I once considered it, but worming can do more damage than good so I voted no.

really can it?

tree and i were just discussing it and well it can protect against EC - but like if your bunnies have not got EC and havent shown signs for 6 motnhs does this mean your bun will never contract EC unless a new bun is introduced (obv not certain but possible)?

Do I make sense? :? :lol:

I have also thought about it, but don't know enough yet to have made in infomed choice. Will watch this thread with interest

I don't know enough either myself so what I have stated is my opinion and I personally choose not to as I don't know what damage is being done, and at the end of the day, if they had worms, surely I'd know about it- weightloss, diarrhoea, lethary etc.

There is a lot of controversy even over worming dogs and cats, and many have decided not to as the stuff is strong enough to kill worms so what is it doing to pets on the inside?

The vast majority of pet rabbits are not wormed, and I am sure if there was a even a small occurance of rabbits needing to be wormed, we'd have heard about it long before now by greedy manufacturers.

My vets have never mentioned it so I've never considered getting it done. Miffy was EC positive last year but she had the 28 day Panacur course as did the others so I figured that would have sorted it. If it flares up again I know the signs and can get her straight to the vets (they are 24 hour emergency) so I figured that would be enough. Panacur is nasty stuff - Miffy needed probiotics as well because it could mess up her digestive system - so I figured it would do her more harm than good for her to be regularly wormed.

AMETHYST

I wormed Polly and Sybil last week as the vet recommended it and gave me free samples as part of MOT. They didn't mention any side effect :?

Polly and Sybil seem fine.

As all mine are indoor bunnies that never go outside, I can't see the need to worm. If however they were outside at least from time to time, I would consider worming them.

Vera

I had all mine wormed about a year ago, cos I read a leaflet on it at the vets :oops: & I had everyone done with rear guard at same time, but now I'm only gonna get 'em done if there's a problem :D

I read somewhere that it can do more harm than good??? It was on here somewhere??

I've only ever had my lot done once before as a precaution until further tests were back on 4 dead bunnies, i've never routinely done them nor will i ever routinely do them

Hmm, I'm in the middle of their first 'routine' panacur wormer, which I was given from the vets :? Now I'm worried :?

Haven't seen the other posts - what are the main concerns with this :?

i have just finished doing it for the first time. Neither of my buns have shown any signs of problems before or after, but since i finished they are drinking less. they used to finish a whole bowl in about 8 hours and now they drink less then half :D so maybe they did have a problem and i just didnt realise

Funnily enough i just got from the vets about half hour ago, and I asked her the same question, she said its up to me, she explained in some detail, its not worms as in the kind cats and dogs get, but more something in their system that even if the they actually had it may never cause problems and said it a nine day course of paste to be put in with a syringe every day for 9 days, I said Id leave it as the stress of doing it to an already nervous rabbit would probably do more harm than good and she says you need to do it 4 times a year too

Ivanatinkle said:
I said Id leave it as the stress of doing it to an already nervous rabbit would probably do more harm than good and she says you need to do it 4 times a year too

i just squeeze the amount onto a spring green and they didnt even notice :lol:

I'm currently part way through a nine day course of Panacur with Jen. The vet suggested it as a precaution, given that Harley had very likely had EC in the past (although he was treated for it).

I haven't noticed any sign effects, although having read this thread I'm a bit worried now :?

Can ivermectin not be used on rabbits? Usually its 2 or 3 doses a week apart for a full course. That can be given by injection, or just dropped on the skin which would be less stressful then dosing every day for a prolonged period.

Julie

this is a very interesting thread actually :D

i am still undecided as to what to do.

i mean it appears the people saying panacur is nasty stuff dont worm but the ones that have say their buns are fine - oh cripes i dunno what to do loL!

what about the EC issue? as none of my buns have shown signs of it does this mean they will never get it unless they came into contact with a new bun that could potentially have ec?

Back