• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how do i stop her!!?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
Mm Bif the lady of the house has rather enlarged..its scary how large shes got!
I am at a loss cos i hardly see her eat she munches very litle..but shes obviously eating berties share..but hes not losing weight so its a mystery indeed!
i have reduced the pllets greatly and split it into 2 small meals a day..the food is always gone in the morning.but hangs around in the evening..guess they scoff it when lights go out..i know bertie always has ahd.
so how do i stop this food bowl raiding..please help..and no i cannot feed them seperatley..they wont go anywhere without the other one..since she got sick hes been her bodyguard! :shock:

The diet should be 80%hay and around 10-15% veg, the rest pellets. What pellets do you feed and how much? If they are overweight, you may be feeding too many pellets, and I'd subsitute more hay into the diet. Also, as rabbits are rounded in nature, what makes you think they are fat?

If you have problems with them snatching pellets, it may be better to scatter them so as they have to work for them and can't steal the others share.

I'd reduce both their pellets to a minimum & feed veg & constant hay. She'll lose weight & he should be able to manage if he has constant hay :D

Having seen Bif I don't think she's overweight...Has the vet said anything?

I'd like all my buns to be the size Bif is :lol:

i have a dog bowl cos berties head wont fit a normal one!
the floor of the bowl has a single layer of ss pellets twice daily..as much timothy hay 2nd cut from BB as they will eat..dried herbs..dried grass whenits in..but ive had to forgo the vegies as the sticky bum syndrome has been bad with the stress of the vets last few weeks and the fact theirs a kitten with a satellitte dish wandering around freaking them out..although bif is washing herhead as is bertie..they feel sorry for her i think!

i scattered pelets in with hay..bertie just pooped all over it digging it all out and bif sat sulking but dug out pellets from the bertie poo!

shes a lionhead lop cross i was told at the rescue and Gem will back me up on ths..she was skin n bone at re scue..
when i got her she'd had 2 months to put on weight etc..she scoffed everything so fast and oscars when he was alive..she thought she'd never see food or hay ever agian..i guess its a habit shes not going to get over.

the vet said shes portly..shes over 2kg!! But shes much bigger than oscar was..bigger than our old dwarf lop doe i reckon..and she does look like a football with fluff right now.
her bloodtests are back tomorrow..to rule out cancer/infections i hope fingers crossed..
id say its slow metabolism but im guessing its greedy girlie..btw berties a french lop and his previous owner said theyre supposed to have 8oz pelets copus quantities of hay and fresh grass and i was given his diet shet.i am dropping off the vegs as hes had soft poos to with the stress.
i give them a hay only diet every other day or when poos are bad..

the stress theyve endured is our lounge getting flooded bye the water boards burst main up the road a bit..and my lounges still a mess 3 months later..its hell and theres bare concrete where the tiles had to be removed as the water was laying under them..a small amount of carpet one side of the lounge..not enough for them to run around on anymore and theyve not been energetci..so scared is bif and bertie hugs her all the time.

when the weathers warmer and drier i must get my grass cut and let them out there more often..bertie doesnt need a pen but i dont like bif being out unless im with her cosnatntly but its not easy to not answer the phone..door etc and next doors cat or the awks get her..
id like to see them run off with bertie! :shock: :lol:

hya Gem..*waves* aww Bless ya..Bif is a pudding tho!

Back