• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

snugglesafe warning!

gil

Mama Doe
just to say had a near miss with a snugglesafe the other night! popped it in to the microwave for the required 6 mins, put my hand in to remove it after it was heated and almost burnt my fingers as it had burst and i had got a handul of the contents! it heats to a clear liquid so didn't notice it had burst! (it dries similar to candlewax so easy to clean the kitchen afterwards!)
has anyone else had problems with snugglesafes?
luckily it didn't get near my rabbits!!

I have not heard of problems with them, however I am aware that they have a use before date on them.

well, i only bought this one about 2 weeks ago from PAH! don't have the original box it came in.

No no problems here - though I know it says replace after 3 years. Mine are 3 years old this year so this will be their last winter - will be replacing them over the summer before the winter sets in!

I was not aware that they had a use before date? Use before what?Where abouts is this date? and do they have a limited life then? If any one can help thank you as I have got 2 of them.Started to be a little bit worried.
Carol X

Ive never used one on rabbits would be to worried they chewed it but have used them for kittens and found them unsuitableIve never needed to use heated things for rabbits because mine are indoors but if one of my pets are ill or if ive kittens in an electric heating plate is fantastic there 100% safe wee or chewing its protected from

gil said:
well, i only bought this one about 2 weeks ago from PAH! don't have the original box it came in.
Take it back. If you are absolutely sure it had only 6 minutes then it may be that it was faulty(says she, stating the obvious :lol: ) If they refuse to be of any help then contact the makers as I'm fairly sure they'll want to to some checks on it and may even recall the batch. I always did mine in its cover and may even miss a minor leak( :shock: ), so in future will do it nude so that I can check.... Let us know how you get on

gil said:
just to say had a near miss with a snugglesafe the other night! popped it in to the microwave for the required 6 mins, put my hand in to remove it after it was heated and almost burnt my fingers as it had burst and i had got a handul of the contents! it heats to a clear liquid so didn't notice it had burst! (it dries similar to candlewax so easy to clean the kitchen afterwards!)
has anyone else had problems with snugglesafes?
luckily it didn't get near my rabbits!!

Hi,

I had exact same problem with mine a few weeks ago, after 6 mins in my microwave it melted and all the liquid went into the microwave, it was impossible to remove it all once it had gone into the candlewax stuff, so had to throw the whole thing away!!

My snugglesafe was probably 2 years old, but I had heated it for the same amount of time loads of times before

yes, i will be taking it back, probably this thursday as that's the next time i am down in Hamilton for a meeting and that's where PAH is! will let you know how i get on! at least it's not too cold now that the bunnies need the extra warmth at night! anyway it's not as if these things are cheap-cost almost £20! so will definitelybe taking it back!

Gil, we are aware of a few reasons why this would happen.

BB Date is up
over heating (i.e. microwave is higher rating than than as per directions on box)
could have been damaged in transit.

First port of call, return it to P&H, if they kick up contact snugglesafe (I can supply name and number if needed)

It is very rare for there to be problems in manufacture as there quality control is second to non.

Hiya, Snugglesafe have been in touch and sent me this to post this to answer some of your queries:

We (Lenric C21 Ltd) have been manufacturing the SnuggleSafe heatpad for six years now. SnuggleSafe started it’s life in veterinary circles and has become so popular for animal welfare that it has now moved into the general pet market to improve the well being of pets, large or small. SnuggleSafe has many key veterinary/ rescue endorsements e.g. RWA/RWF, PDSA, Dogs Trust, Cats Protection, FAB, Battersea/ Woodgreen animal shelters. Rescue centres/ veterinary centres use and recommend SnuggleSafe as it so useful for pet care and it holds warmth for up to 10 hours*, is bite resistant, non-toxic, wireless and a much safer alternative for pets than using a hot water bottle/ wheat bag. In fact, hot water bottles draw heat away from the animal once it has cooled down.

* microwave heat time recommendations are stipulated in the instructions supplied with each heatpad or you can download the instructions on our website at: http://www.snugglesafe.co.uk/downloads.htm

We have had very very few returns and when these incidents are investigated it always turn out to be human error.

For example; over heating, dropping the heatpad and fracturing causing leak or misuse of the product out side the instructions supplied. Although the SnuggleSafe heatpad is a very robust product, no product is indestructible and must be used in accordance to instructions supplied. The plastic casing will only melt if it has been overheated to x3 times over the recommended time. In fact a temperature of 120 Celsius much be reached. This is the melting point of the plastic (polypropeline) casing. Our rigorous batch testing has shown this time and time again. If the heatpad has been significantly overheated it will not do anything dramatic. It will simply collapse (melt) and then allow it to cool and dispose the pad appropriately.

If the SnuggleSafe is heated to the recommended times, it will provide good long warmth for any animal that needs thermal support e.g. newborn, convalescing, or any animal on the move/ inside or out.

I hope the above information helps reassure your members that the SnuggleSafe heatpad is an excellent aid for your pet if used correctly.

I've never had a problem with mine, not even nibbling by bunnies (which I was very surprised at!) need to get a new one cos I've had it three years now!

Kay had a problem with one, the same thing let me do a search and find you the topic :D

hi folks

thanks for all the advice and links-very useful! i will be taking it back tomorrow in between my meetings, so i will let you konw how i get on with PAH. i already have another snugglesafe for my other pair of rabbits and not had any problems with that one, just this new one that i bought! managed to find my receipt for it as well which is good going for me as i tend to misplace these sort of things. won't be able to post until friday at earliest as i have a full day of work then college at night! will let you all know what PAH says! the batch number is still on the product so perhaps that will help!

I had a brand new one do this to me yesterday :( only brought it in January and have used it just a couple of times for me in bed :lol: :lol: I cannot take it back though as I had it from wyvale which has now closed the pet section.

I have the batch number on mine, anyone want to compare batch numbers :wink:

Denny - contact Snugglesafe - do you want the number?

Your first port of call is Wyevale, but after that it is the company

Incidentally - the stuff in the midlde is the same stuff that capsules of medicine are made of - the plasticy stuff on your paracetamol capsules and the like - it is completely inert if ingested - not that I suggest anyone eats it :lol:

Jules

nora said:
Denny - contact Snugglesafe - do you want the number?

Your first port of call is Wyevale, but after that it is the company

Incidentally - the stuff in the midlde is the same stuff that capsules of medicine are made of - the plasticy stuff on your paracetamol capsules and the like - it is completely inert if ingested - not that I suggest anyone eats it :lol:

Jules

Hi Jules :D

my wyvale has shut now hence I brought 4 because they were a tenner in the sale :oops: I cannot find my receipt, might be on my bank statement somewhere as i probably used my visa :? :? :?

HHHmmm battered snuggle safe might go down a treat for Carl for tea :lol: :lol: I can now not look a paracetmol in the eye now and not relate it to a snugglesafe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I need some advice on personalised mugs Jules, will contact you shortly :wink:

Back