• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

U/D on Fudge He's home

karen354

Warren Veteran
Hi, just phoned the vets as I couldn't wait any longer....
Shes booked me an appointment for 3.30 to see the vet and then bring him home.. Is this normal ?
I though I'd be just collect him & the nurse tell me what the problem was..
I asked the nurse was he okay and she said yes hes fine..
Am i worrying for no reason do you think or do other vets usually make an appintment to see you before you take you bun home ?

If there are particualar things the vets feel that they need to go through with you I think it is appropriate that they book an appointment for you to see them prior to collection.

Many vets will give a time for collection when they know they are not so busy and can stop what they are doing and pass on any information that is required by their owners, whilst this doesnt always seem to be making an appointment in reality this is as good as.

Some vets are happy to let their receptionists or vet nurses pass on routine information and they themselves pass on the information after investigations or even post op instructions.

I am sure if there was a serious problem the vet would have rung you already and explained what their findings are.

Thank you, I think he would of phoned aswell if there was something serious, he did do a couple of weeks ago when he found that Fudge had teeth problems.....

I'm keeping Fudge inside for a few days, i borrowed a large dog crate off a friend so at least I can keep an eye on him..

My old vets used to make an appointment for post-op updates but after the second neuter he just used to catch me in the waiting room and tell me anything extra as the nurse did the hand-over.

Caz

I'm sure he'll be fine and the vet will just need to maybe talk you through the aftercare.
Sending lots of hugs to you and nose rubs to Fudge.

He will be fine Karen, the vet would be obliged to tell you if something was wrong, they do not usually wait until you come in. So I would say the vet may just want to go through some bits they feel are important.

Keep strong and you will soon have fudge snug in your arms x :) x

Thanks all... These buns do cause us worry dont they ?
Will let you know how hes doing when I get home home :D

Im sure he just wants to chat to you. We always seem to end up having mini consults in the waiting room even when I am just collecting a post-op bunny. They usually enquire about other that they have recently treated though.

He probably just wants to put your mind at rest after what you went through with Molly and it shows thought and consideration. A* vet Id say :D

Little guy is now home :D .. The vet said they had cut into the infected area & removed all the infection and removed some of the unaffected scrotum so there should be little chance of more infection..He's on antibiotics for the next 5 days ...
They seemed to think he'd pulled at one of his stitches to cause the infection:( I have no luck with spaying or neutering buns this is twice this has happened, poor Molly lost her life but it looks like Fudge will be just fine :D ... Can't believe how much everything costs though £110 today its cost me.. I'm now getting worried how much it'll cost me everytime he'll need his teeth done :( so far he hasn't needed anything doing but he will do in time :(
Oh well as long as my little man is okay.

Hi

Noticed this post as I had just posted about Bob's neutering today. Glad all is sorted. I agree that they cause worry. I have been stressing all day waiting to pick Bob up. Glad he is finally home. Good wishes to you and Fudge.

Karen

He's eating,drinking & lots of poos & wees :D ... He's relaxing now.
By tomorrow he'll not be happy in the dog crate but he hasn't got a choice hes staying there until Thursday... I'm so glad hes eating plenty though :D

Glad to hear that he sems pretty unfazed by his latest experience!! It'll be interesting to hear how he reacts to cage life tomorrow :lol:

Glad Fudge is OK, dont worry about his teeth, due to his age its more likely to be diet related than genetic so if you feed him correctly it could be up to 6 months in between dentals.

Thanks again all....
This morning he seems happy enough eating normal :D
I'll keep him indoors until Friday then hopefully he'll be okay..
He seems okay being kept in the dog crate he hates small spaces but doesn't seem to mind being in there..

Back