• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ringworm

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
:?
Just got a phone call from a bloke at the stables. A (new)horse came in with ringworm in December. Has been treated but 3 more horses have been found with it. Including mine :evil: He's being treated today, but what are the risks to my buns? :shock: I'll check them all over tonight, but does it look the same as it looks on a horse? (I've seen that before) or should I just treat all of them. & if so what with?

I know its very contagious to rabbits, other furries and PEOPLE! Small circular patches of sur falling out and scabs. It means lots of handwashing and quarantine too. :shock:

Sooz22 said:
I know its very contagious to rabbits, other furries and PEOPLE! Small circular patches of sur falling out and scabs. It means lots of handwashing and quarantine too. :shock:

Yeah - I know. That's why I'm worried about the buns. My horse has a small patch behind his ear, so I could've touched it when I put a bridle on. We had the first horse quarantined :? Vet has checked other 12 horses & they are all ok, just mine & 2 down the other end of the yard :? Guy is buying some stuff to treat myself with today.

Would clothing change & disinfecting be enough for me to see to horse & buns? I'll be wearing gloves in future

It should be. When i was younger everyone in my house caught it from using shared towels.

my aunts dog had it when she got it, and all the pets had to be checked and treatment sorted in case. never seen it on a horse but it looks the same on dogs guineas and people so i assume its the same on a horse

If you get it, Canesten cream will do the trick :lol:

Should be fine on the bunnies too...had a vet who suggested it for chins and guineas!

Nope :lol:

It's a fungal infection which affect the skin. It's quite itchy, comes up in a circular type rash. Can be easily transmitted, as being a fungus, it produces spores which can either be airborne or transferred via things such as clothes or towels.

some people have an allergic reaction to the spores which can cause hard fluid filled blisters so keep an eye out for these syptoms as well.

We discovered Floss had ringworm about 3 weeks after we got her. She was put on antifugal meds.. 3 cycles of it with a week off between each cycle. Bournville never caught it from her despite being her constant companion. We scrubbed their hutch out with some special stuff given by the vet and changed the bedding daily and wiped the area down every morning with the same solution, but that's the only precaution I took. It all cleared up and neither Bournville nor us humans caught it from her despite never gloving up. Foolhardy and lucky..what a combination.. :lol:

cute_fuzzies said:
If you get it, Canesten cream will do the trick :lol:

Should be fine on the bunnies too...had a vet who suggested it for chins and guineas!

I'm already using canesten on my stomach cos I had an allergic reaction to sommat that lives on everyone's skin. (Basically, i have thrush on my stomach!!! :lol: )

Can't see anything ringwormy on me or the buns. Gonna keep checking & being extra careful around horse :roll:

Buns got completely disinfected last night (took about 5 hours :shock: ) & if i see anything on me or one of buns, will treat them all

Back