• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why or How did you choose the bunnies you have?

Hi All

I have 14 beautiful bunnies and was just wondering all your reasons for choosing your bunnies.

Pixi, Scampie, Waffles & Leo came from a friend who no longer wanted them.

Barbie was a 'biter' and nobody wanted her. she was a real challenge for me. After several months she was a completely different bunnie and is very gentle.

Charlie was chosen from a rescue because he was the only one out of several that barbie liked! :lol:

Jack was from a rescue and had been there for atleast a year (i think) and nobody wanted him.

Sarah was chosen because nobody wanted her and she had been at a rescue for 9 months.

Itzi was from pets @ home and i consider that a rescue :lol: :lol:

Tribble was from a breeder :oops: im sorry but i do love my nethies and he had such beautiful markings

Sassi was from a 'so called' breeder - i had her from when she was a baby. i class her as a rescue as she was being sold at a car boot :shock: and was the only one left.

malteaser was from a rescue and i chose him to go with sassi as he was a nethie!!

Simba was from a rescue - also a grumpy bun that had behaviour problems but is now fine

Chloe was from RU - a girl wanted them rehomed beacuse she was moving to Spain (i think). Chloe came with Speckle - who was a blind nethie bunny but died in the summer of last year :(

Well i didn't choose Buttons, i found him as a stray but his owners never looked after him properaly so we just kept him and know one was going to say anything as everyone know they don't look after him. As for the mother and babies i agreed to take them from a breeder no longer interested in the breed and decided to keep Poppy and Casper s i just feel in love with them both :love:

We didnt choose Parsnip as my step daughter was no longer able to look after him ( well her mother didnt) so we reluctantly agreed to have him as we didnt no anything or even want a rabbit...... but it was love at first sight and now we (well me) are totally hooked :lol: He was called stewy when he came by the way but my 9 year said "thats just mean" so we renamed him punky, then parsley(lion head) but he's now totally Parsnip!

All 3 of my rabbits were rescues. We had Cookie 1st, went to a shelter and hubby picked him out. I think he liked the fact that he looked like a wild rabbits (agouti nethie x). I rescued Twix from a lady advertising her as free to a good home on freeads, I didn't even know what she looked like as there was no pic. Unfortunately we lost Cookie just before Xmas and then a week later, my grandparents call me up and say that there was a rabbit that needed to be rescued from a breeder who wanted shot and fast. Later that day Biscuit arrived! He is in perfect health although does scan and we think that this is why the breeder didn't want him :evil: Oh well, their loss is my gain :D

Moonshine, Flopsy and Smudge were from petshops (before we discovered RU and knew better), Billy was advertised on RR he was being badly negleted and the owner said just take him. Grace was from BARC, she went to the Bridge last month, and we've just got Dudley from BARC who we are trying to bond with Smudge.

I'm moving house soon and will have a bigger house and a 60ft garden = lots more bunnies!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Well, at least one more cos Billy is all alone :(

I would definately always get a bun from a rescue now, I will never again buy an animal from a petshop.

Nicola

I bought Effie and Jess from a farm, chose them cos they were both girls
Shadow and Ginger came from the RSPCA chose them cos of Ginger's colour and Shadow's mane. :D
Jacob came from the RSPCA chose him cos he bit me! :D
Flopsy came from a rescue home and I chose her cos she was white and I didn't have a white bun! :oops:
Charlie got left with me and apparently had teeth problems
Sam and Cindy I chose cos they were hard to home buns with teeth problems
Max because his owner was having to rehome him cos he fell out with his friend and he wasn't a friendly bun
Harry, Lenny, Mac and Starr I chose cos they were beautiful and had such huge ears and their breeder was going to cull them before Mandy took them in :shock:

Holly because she reminded me of my first ever rabbit and was living with her brotehr so was in trouble of inbreeding in terrible conditions in the pet store. I fell in love with Baz as soon as I saw his piccy on the rescue website

I adore rexes and so contacted the RSPCA and asked them to contact me if one should come in. Then I just waited!!(hadn't heard of this site!!!!), Almost a year later Ihad a call to say they had a rex in and that she had a hutch companion. I went to see her and was immediately besotted. Sadly her hutch mate died two days later and was put into another 2 weeks quarantine. I asked them to bond her with another of their buns and then Bournville arrived(he'd been handed in after his hutchmate died asthe owners felt they couldn't cope anymore,) so he was bonded with Floss. Amonth later they were mine :D

I contacted Jill from Honeybunnies as that's our nearest rescue and she suggested the 2 sisters she had as we were looking for 2 bunnies to live together and they were already bonded.

They hadn't been put in Rabbit Rehome, but Jill emailed me some pictures and when she brought them over for us to meet them I thought they were lovely and Polly and Sybil moved in straight away :D

I lost my dog in July 06 and swore I would have no more animals, because of losing them. He was 15 and my other little dog was 15 when she went to doggy heaven 5 years ago. Anyway started to look at other dogs, but just did'nt feel the same towards them after my others so looked at cats, but I live in a flat on a busy road so thought no, not fair to cats or dogs and then looked at rabbits. Did'nt realize (sp?) so many were in rescues. Found RabbitRehome and this forum, did lots of research into owning a bun and then went to my nearest rescue "just to have a look" at another rabbit I saw on RR but fell in love with Porridge-the-banana-bun, a nethie who is lovely. Then kept reading about pairs, bonding etc and thought I know he's happy but what if another bun makes him happier, so he's being bonded now to a lady-bun. I am new to all things bunny, but i am totally hooked! :love: I gave up work in Aug06 to be fulltime mum to my 2 year old little girl, so am home most of the day, my rabbits get lots of time and cuddles and I love them to bits, even my girl bun who does'nt live here yet!! Anyway this was supposed to be a quick post, but i've gone on abit. :oops: sorry.

I didn't choose mine - agreed to take in someone's unwanted rabbits without even seeing them! The downside was that they were bigger than described so the hutch I'd bought for them was too small!!

After splitting from my husband and moving into a house on my own I really wanted a pet. Couldn't have a dog as I am out at work all day and I'm not very keen on cats so decided on a rabbit. I searched on the internet for rescues and came across this site and forum. I read the forums every day for a few weeks then contacted Jill at Honeybunnies as she was fairly local. I had seen Bugsy and Lola were looking for a home so asked Jill if I could adopt them :) A few weeks after they arrived, I took on 2 free-ad buns, Snowy and Frosty. Unfortunately Frosty died a few months ago so I contacted Jill to find a friend for Snowy and adopted Buttons. Just need to get my signature updated now!

Well Buu came from a garden center (its actually 2 years ago tomorrow that I got her) but that was before I knew about the amount of rabbits in rescues :oops: I picked her because she was being pushed around the center in a shopping trolly by really noisy kids :shock:

I took Trip from someone who didnt want him anymore when he was 7 months old. And I also took Scarlett from someone who had been given her as a gift but didnt really want her when she was only about 12 months :(

And I am about to phone the local animal rescue now to see if I can go and have a chat about bringing Buu in to find a boyfriend :D

Bartie came from a petshop :oops: :oops: hes are first ever bun and I'd never buy from a shop again..
Molly( passed away)came from a local rescue, she was so nervous shen she first arrived here but soon come round to a real cheeky girl.
Fudge was my foster bun, I offered to foster him until I could rehome him.
He came from Elaine in Manchester she'd taken in 6 bunnies that had been living very bad condition :( she didnt have the room and was over run with buns.. Since having Fudge we have found out he has teeth problems so we decided we would keep him here living with us :D
Furby came from a very young breeder she was advertised as Lady, the poor girl had been in free ads for months and was being giving away as free.. A lovely lady fostered her (Capel) and really made her a very confident little girl, she had her spayed & and paid for her injections and vet checks ..
As we decided to keep Fudge then he'd need a girlfriend Capel very kindly let us have Furby :D she is the most adorbale bunny I have met..
Fudge and Furby will be bonded shortly and we cant wait :D

I've got 5 bunnies at the moment

Gus, the first housebunny, came from a petshop. Gail went to buy some fishfood and saw him and fell in love with him - he was in a small glass tank with no hay etc but he had such a big personility

Betty, our bridge bun, came from rescue. They brought 5 rabbits over to meet Gus and they seemed to get on - needless to say they fell out after a couple of weeks but we never wanted to return her. We were devastated when she died.

Lola came from the same rescue. We'd wanted a frenchie for ages and when we saw her on RR we went straight to look at her. We knew as soon as we saw her that we had to take her home.

Frida - came from the petshop last summer :oops: - again cooped up in a tiny cage and she looked just like Gus. I put my hand down to pet her and she just came straight to me.

Bracken came from rescue - i saw her story on rabbits in need and felt so sorry for her - we went to see her and she's just like a teddy bear. Even though we werent looking for another bunny we felt we could give her the loving home she needed as an older bun.

Zeb was from a school litter - he has helicopter ears and he was so cute we couldnt resist him.

Smirnoff - from a garden centre :oops: . He had been returned twice due to aggression. He's not a aggressive really, but he's not very nice :lol:
Joey - P@H :oops: to keep Smirnoff company. He was getting chased by a guinea pig, so i picked him :lol:
Chocolate: from a Rescue :D Gaz(ex) picked her - she bit me :? She likes me now though :lol:
Sugar & Spice - orphanned accidental litter of a neighbour
Alfie: I joined RU cos of him :D Tricolour lionhead cross -absolutely gorgeous, & still my favourite-looking bun, from Jill (Honeybunny)
Polly: From Jill, black & tan & daughter to Alfie - who she lives live with. Very very pretty :D
Flint: From Jill, cute grey bunster & so friendly, & lovely fluffy fur
Rosie - my first ever foster who never left. She shuts her eyes for nose rubs, so was going nowhere :oops: :lol:
Kendra - a free ad baby. She had an op at 7 wks old so was separated early from her family. Had to keep her cos I got close :oops: :D
Alex: Free ad NZ white that never made it to Jills :oops: melts my heart that he hadn't been out of his filithy hutch in months & couldn't walk as his nails were so long, but he still loves people :D
Barley - Dumped bun, rest of her family died. We thought she was a dwarf lop, but turns out she was a frenchie X :shock: :lol:
Calel - Biting bun on RIN. Wanted a challenge. GOT ONE!! :lol: Calel picked his partner Treacle :D

Angie65 said:
Calel picked his partner Treacle :D

... and you were too scared to argue with him :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, My Buns from the last year ..

Charlie - Been desperate for another bunny and had to beg for years and research loooads, then Mum caved in and Dad took me to a rescue, walked into the shed thingy and just saw Charlie and knew he was the one. He'd been badly abused, as well as left to breed over and over, and he was still so loving and friendly. Also, he was the last one out of all his sisters (with whom he'd bred) and his children.

Tilly-May - Went to elaines for a friend for Charlie, fell in love with Tills Mum, but she was a lot bigger than Charlie and as it was my first bonding, we thought it might be easier to go for a baby, elaine showed us angelas babies, and we fell for the runt, which happened to be Tills!! She was about half the size of her sisters and a timid little thing, My how things change :lol: So she came home with us. I phoned Elaine a week later, wanting to adopt angela cuz i loved her soo much, but she'd gone :(

Boo - Wanted a black lop bun for ages, so when we went to elaines and she said she had the soppiest most loving bun ever for us, then pulled out a black lop .. we just had to take her!! Definately fate :wink:

Jen - Although shes only a foster, Saw she needed somewhere to go and had to take her. Also, always fancied trying to tame a bun with behavioural problems, and as Jen was totally unhinged - perfect opportunity!! :D :lol: :lol: Love her to pieces and dont want her to go :lol: X

Bobby was from P@H :oops: but he was the last one there and the biggest. Bless him, he just wasn't 'cute' (he's a grumpy bun - reminds me of Eeyore :lol:, even his binkies are grumpy!), so he came home with me. He's gorgeous - my big bruiser!
Ruby, his wifey, was from Kirkby Pet Welfare, and I noticed her on RR as a bun who'd been in rescue a while. She's definitely not a cuddle bun, but she is very full of character.

Squidgy found me :love: He was found in a garden by my mum's friend after his owners moved house, and she knew I had other furries, so brought him to me. He's been my best buddy for almost 5 years now.

Salt and Pepper were put on RIN by Jill Honeybunny, and I couldn't resist them. They are the most adorable rabbits and so easy to look after.

Evo was from a petshop. Unfortunately I didn't know aobut rescues when I got him, although I certainly wouldn't change him for the world!

It was actually my o/h that chose him. We'd been driving all day (40 miles in both directions pretty much!) to try and find the perfect bunny. Evo was in a little local pet shop about 4 miles from home, and we got him about 5 mins before they closed. I didn't really like lops, so I wasn't too keen :oops: , but I was getting a bunny so I didn't care. No I loooooove lops, and Evo is the bestest! :D

My two, Rolo and Ozzie, came from the RSPCA and were the second pair i met and after a bit of deliberation I chose them over the other two I met. Mainly because i was completely new to rabbits and they were slightly tamer and well I just fell in love with them. I'm still working on making them tamer though (difficult - they are both over 4).

Back