• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My girl has just been diagnosed with heart disease.

My girl has just been diagnosed with heart disease. She's been really chesty for over a week and at first the vet diagnosed her with a chest infection but with the antibiotics she didnt get better. We investigated further with an ultra sound scan and the found fluid on her lungs and her heart wasn't working effectively. :( :( :( :(

We've now got to give her more tablets which aren't the easiest to give. One tiny tablet get broken into four and and another capsule is seperated into three. My husband and I are so upset, she's not even four and we were hoping to have her for a long time. I'd never known that rabbits could get this and we really don't how long she's got! She perked up since having her treatment start, and she's being quite cheeky again.

Has anyone got any more info on this, or had an experience with a happy ending!!!

Hello

I have had two Rabbits with heart disease. They were prescribed a diuretic (Frusemide) and a drug to lower their blood pressure (Fortekor)
Although their lives were cut short by their heart disease they were able to enjoy a better quality of time once on medication. I am affraid I cant tell you that your Rabbit will get better. But the medication will make life a lot more comfortable. Quality of life is as important as quantity. Although for us, the carers, it can seem very unfare :cry:

Janex

Gem in pembrokeshire said:
Thankyou for all your support everybody!

Jane i've noticed that Jack and Alysia were Rex's.

Nibbs is a Blue rex, is this breed prone to the disease.

Hello again

Jack and Alysia were not the Buns with heart disease. However,the effected Buns (David and Becks) were Rexes

rabbits057.jpg

They were brothers and my Vet and I believe that their heart problems were the result of intensive inbreeding :cry: Sadly the Breeder has chosen not to heed the warnings and has continued to breed from the same line :cry: :x

I dont think heart disease is particularly a problem with Rexes in general but from the result of negligent Breeding practices. Certainly a Rex with a very narrow chest and rounded abdomen is one to be wary of.........

Janex

Nibbs update!

Isn't good i'm atraid, she's not responded to her medication and we've run out of options. We are still hoping for a miracle but i don't think it's gonna happen :cry: :cry:

We've made her as comfortable as we can. she's so much of a fighter i don't think we can allow her to struggle much more. Not the best topic to read and i'm sorry for that.

I'm telling all you rabbit fans cos you'll understand, she's more than a rabbit, she's our friend and we'll love her for ever no matter what. Sorry that we couldn't fix you babe!! Love you loads! Gem and Kev xxxxx

Sending big hugs to you, it is very hard to hear that a member of the family has heart problems (in my case it's my son, not my rabbit!), but the feelings are probably very similar. I am really sorry that she hasn't responded to her meds. I am sure that you will do all you can to make her comfortable.

(((HUGS))))

Back