• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there always a dominant bun in a pair?

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I have been watching Trip and Scarlett trying to work out which one is the dominant bunny, but I cant tell :? :oops:

There wasnt any humping during the bonding, unless it happened when I left them overnight and only a few nips when they were first introduced in the morning. They are both acting the same as they did before they met, Trip is still really laid back and Scarlett is still binkying all over the place.

They will both groom each other when the other one puts their head down, and one isnt being groomed anymore than the other. It all seems pretty equal :?

I thought that one of them would be a bit bossy :?

MJ and Pippa don't fit the 'dominant/submissive' thing either, they groom each other, eat together out of the same bowl etc. MJ had had some unsuccessful bonding attempts prior to Pippa and this was a really easy bonding, perhaps because neither 'fought' for their position

charlie and jack don't really ahve it either. jack is more afraid of things (us walking for instance) and charlie's more confident....

although maybe she has him wrapped around her little claw since she only occasionally grooms his eyes whereas whenever he gives himself a wash, jack is there, shoving her head under charlie so he has no choice but to wash her instead!!

Women eh?

although maybe she has him wrapped around her little claw since she only occasionally grooms his eyes whereas whenever he gives himself a wash, jack is there, shoving her head under charlie so he has no choice but to wash her instead!!

Women eh?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks guys. I was getting a bit worried that I hadnt seen any signs of one being more dominant :lol:

Charlie and Tilly-May were a completely neutral pair .. but they did have an understanding that Tilly ruled Charlie, Does that count?!! :lol: X

Ruby is definitley the dominant bun with her and Millie, although they get on great Ruby is always the first to eat, wont share a bowl with Millie and occasionally nips her to move her away. Also Millie is usually the one who grooms Ruby, although they usually both groom each other. :D

My two rabbits grrom each other, share a toilet, grab food from each others mouth etc. Floppy is a happy rabbit that always binkies and is very vocal. He is quite bossy and confident with me- he nips me and sits on my lap and lets me kiss and cuddle him for hours. Floppy doesn't mind loads of people being in a room with him either. He carries on doing his own thing. Floppy does push Patch out of the way

Patch on the other hand does not like being in the house without Floppy (they are hutch bunnies) and is shy without him. He is also quite a cautious rabbit and if he is in a situation, he doesn't like he will freeze or flop over whereas Floppy will fight, scratch and kick. Originally, I was convinced Floppy was the dominant rabbit. However, when they became sexually active, Patch started mounting Floppy and I've also seen Floppy do it to Patch_ this led to Patch fighting with Floppy. Now Patch is dominant cos Floppy never mounts him. It depends if your rabbits have reached maturity yet. Also when one is dominant, they can still have an equal relationship-only one mounts the other to redress the balance

It depends if your rabbits have reached maturity yet. Also when one is dominant, they can still have an equal relationship-only one mounts the other to redress the balance

Yes they have both reached sexual maturity, I havent seen either of them mount the other one yet though.

My two are pretty evenly matched, both groom each other, nip each others' bums, share the same food bowl (well they have ever since they smashed the other one anyway), both mount each other and get angry when mounted. Both pinch food out of each others' mouths - never seem to get bored of that little trick! :lol:

It means I have to be quite careful when moving them to a new environment to check that they don't have a scrap - usually food stops any little tiffs and by the time they have finished eating they have forgotten all about it! :lol:

It depends if your rabbits have reached maturity yet. Also when one is dominant, they can still have an equal relationship-only one mounts the other to redress the balance

Jack does this every so often to Charlie... I thought it was just because she was the one of the pair with 'nads but she had those out in Jan and it's only every so often.

bless them

Back