• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

would this work??

gizmo

Mama Doe
I have got quite a few male buns that are not castrated and are living on their own. I feel guilty about them living on there own but I really dont have the money to get them castrated at the moment.
One of my females, tilly, is living on her own as she really doesnt get on with other female buns an was just thinking about putting one of the boys in with her.
iv had her for about 2yrs and when I got her she was about 3yrs old. I wasnt told anything about her so i dont know if shes been spayed but she does seem to be infertile.
a while ago she ended getting to one of the boys and she never got pregnant. Then i found out the other day that my sister has been trying to breed her behind my back :evil:
she said she tryed her with casper and copper-roo and still nothing happened.
so wot do u guys think?

i'm very hesitant to say put her in with a lad if she hasn't been done but if you're really sure she won't get preggers then go for it - give her a companion!

I'd have to disagree :?
NO female wants to be paired with an unneutered male at they are extremely hormonal and will be constantly be trying to mount her.
Also, I dont think you are 100% sure that she is spayed/infertile, and I woudln't want to take that risk! Maybe wait a little while, save up some money, and get one of your bucks neutered :D

Leah xx

ok thanks
i do feel really guilty about having the boys on their own :(
hopefully ill start getting paid, then i can start saving.

Breeding

Sorry to be a pain - but whatever would you do with the babies?

There are literally hundreds (probably thousands) of unwanted rabbits, and with annual or 6 monthly vaccinations plus neutering costs, rabbits are hardly a 'cheap and easy' pet.

Please, please do give this some thought.

It would also be unwise to presume that your doe is infertile - some couplings are productive, others aren't for a wide variety of reasons.

Can't you padlock the buns in their hutch or something? If my sister tried breeding my buns ... I'd kill her!!! :x X

theres no way to attach a padlock to the hutches.
If tilly was living with another bun she wouldnt try because iv told her rabbits wont get on together if one has babies.

Nope, absolutely not! I've heard of rabbits living together 6 months plus before they have babies And people realise they were miss sexed. That she hasn't got pregnant in the past doesn't mean she can't.

You can buy a packet of 'eyes' a screw with a loop on for under £5 and use those to attach padlocks.

It only takes once! If you can't afford neutering you certainly can't afford babies. Let alone the risk to the females health/life particularly as she's older.

Tam

Back