• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At what age do bucks become sexually active?

Isaac Rabbit

Young Bun
Stanley Rabbit is four months old and although I have no plans to breed from him. I was just wondering when do young bunnies thoughts turn to love? I'm only asking to prepare myself for the territorial behaviour and the spray marking.....I know neutering will prevent this and that will happen to poor old Stanley, but I was just interested at what age they become sexually mature?

Thanks for your help

Love Paula and Stanley Rabbit XXX

When their plums drop :wink:

Varies from breed to breed but on average by the time the Buck is 4 months old

Janex

The testicles usually drop between 10 and 12 weeks. I just had a 10 week old buck castrated a few days ago :thumb:

Unless you have a ones like Ed,Edd and Eddy who are mini rex x's and have managed to hang on to their's until last week aged 5 1/2 months. :shock: Every week I've checked them and would they drop them. :? anyway they're done now.

woozle held on for almost 6 months!! and when his dropped they got carpet burns! he had cystitis and had to finish those before he could be done..i was lucky bno spraying no humping but forever weeing on my sofa! Hard to believe hes been gone 2 years already.. :(

My baby boys are 18weeks old now and no signs of plums yet!! Keep checking cos they are such good friends I dont want them falling out but as yet - plumless!! :D

rngpwelfare said:
Unless you have a ones like Ed,Edd and Eddy who are mini rex x's and have managed to hang on to their's until last week aged 5 1/2 months. :shock: Every week I've checked them and would they drop them. :? anyway they're done now.

Maybe they were just crossing their legs and hoping you wouldnt notice :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The smaller breeds like lionheads/nethies etc can be from 10 weeks plus, it's insane! The giants tend to be a lot later and generally aren't considered sexually mature until about 6-8 months. But as has been said, keep checking. Bear in mind in cold weather they may be 'retaining them' lol, they can draw them up into their body when cold (scary!)

Umm, daft question, this 'checking'. How does one go about that?

Paranoid as I have a buck and doe and breeder and vet both wait leave till 4 and a half months, but I've heard different from other rabbit owners...

Back