• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with ideas - protecting hutches

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I have been using those blue waterproof sheets to keep the hutch and run dry and the wind out. But last night I had to get up about 6 times to cover them up again as the sheets were just blowing off. And they are being held down with lots of bricks :shock: Also when its pouring down water is just gathering on top of Buu's run and then leaking through (like 3 sheets)! So I am just buying these sheets every week :roll: Also the noise they make when its really windy is keeping the little girl next door awake and she isnt well at all :(

I am going to ask my boyfriend to make something out of plastic and wood I think that I can kind of fit over the hutch and the run and keep the rain and wind out (but something I can take off in summer).

Anyway I need some sort of idea of what I am asking for if you know what I mean. Does anyone have anything like this for their hutches that I could maybe show him a picture of?

I know you can get those hutchhugger things but I want something that would keep the buns warm and dry when its really pouring :D

I bought a large plastic sheet for my hutch and have used a staple gun to staple it to the back/top and sides. The front is loose so that it can be lifted. Of a night I put the plastic sheeting down then to hold it all in place I have done the following:

Make a small hole in the sheeting at the front/middle of the hutch. Get an elastic band and loop it round the bars of the hutch and pull through the sheeting. Place a piece of suitable size hardboard in front of the hutch and make a small cut at the top of the hardboard to allow the elastic to slot through. Get a piece of baton and thread through the elastic to keep everything night and secure.

Hope that makes sense!!

In the morning I just take away the baton, remove the hardboard and lift the plastic sheeting.

When I went to Bunnyhops Kay uses awning material with batons either side to hold it down - works really well

I have the same problem with attaching the plastic but it sounds like some have got a good solution. Being a bit of a dozzy person could anyone take some pics so I can understand how it works please? :?

Yeah I think I need to see some pics too :oops:

Im sure I saw a pic of someones hutch on here and they had like plastic screens that went over the front of the hutch, but I cant find it :?

That was a post by Bavarian Bunny, if you do a search going back a few weeks you should find it :D

Tucked up the buns a bit early tonight so that it wasnt too dark to take some photos:

This is the best way I can think of to protect the buns from wind and rain and even animals and it is cheap!!

First get large sheet of plastic and staple gun into place at rear/sides and top.

Attach elastic to front of hutch:

DSC00137.jpg

Pull plastic sheeting down over the front and pull elastic through:

DSC00138.jpg

DSC00139.jpg

Place suitable size hardboard to front of hutchs:

DSC00140.jpg

Then pull through elastic and hold all in place with wooden baton:

DSC00141.jpg

This keeps my bunnies warm and dry with no wind for the night.

(Hope you all dont think I am mad!!)

That was a post by Bavarian Bunny, if you do a search going back a few weeks you should find it

Thanks, it was easier to find once I knew who posted it :lol:

Thanks Fluffiebunnie, I know what you mean now :oops: :lol:

Back