• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone Needing Cheap Rabbit Cages

Hi everyone
I dont know if anyone would be interested but ive found a site with great rabbit cages for only £40 plus free delivery ... Its the ferplast 100 rabbit cage i was well impressed not only did it i get it the next day but the cage is a huge size and get lots of bits with it my mini lops love it so ive bought another one lol ... In the picture it doesnt look very big its the second cage there but they are huge fab for the money
Take care All
P.S I know some of you like using dog crates this is for those who dont
Dolly
xxx
http://www.happyhutch.com/ListProducts.aspx?categoryID=36

A Ferplast 100 is too small for a rabbit, so that is a very bad deal for a rabbit :(

You can get 48" dog crates from ebay for that price including delivery. That is a good deal :D

I agree that it is far too small for even the smallest rabbit, unless they have free run of the house and only use it as a place to toilet or sleep

Once again she has said it is for mini lops, and we have no idea whether the rabbits are confined to the cage or have free run. Thank you Collie Dolly for pointing this out, am sure someone will need one of these, personally i use a similar one for buns who are recouperating indoors, they have it in the bathroom. I am sure Collie Dolly is aware it is not big enough for a permanent home and not everyone has room for a 48" dog crate!

I have a similar one, but it is left open permanently in the spare bedroom.

And I also had a smaller one for Smudge when she was recovering from her op, cos she needed to not move about too much.

Nicola

I think buttons&thumper is right - we don't know how Collie Dolly is using the cage and so we cannot make comments on whether it is too small. I agree that a rabbit shouldn't be kept in the cage for any length of time, but it's perfect to use a base (loki has one in the spare room). Sometimes people can be a little quick to be negative when all Collie Dolly was doing was posting a link in case any one wanted one of these cages at a good price.

I have a 3ft one that I originally bought for my baby bunny. Soon realised it was too small so moved on up to bigger and better things.

But these cages are useful when bunnies need to come indoors or when they are poorly. I will always keep mine for such a time.

Pickle was indoors for a week after his neutering so they are handy.

hi.i have four house rabbits and two of the extra large ferplast cages.they are bigger than the one pictured,however mine only use theirs as a safe haven at bed time and a toilet.the rest of the time two play down stairs in the the cellar(it has windows and heating and toys)and my other two play in the kitchen and first floor of house.i see it as the same as us having to go to bed at night,it keeps them safe whilst they are unsupervised that is all.most the time they are out and about causing havoc in our house-just the way we like it!so purely for this purpose they are great and i have 4 very happy,spoilt bunnies :D i tried the 48'' dog crate but it was'nt practical for us as i spent most my time mopping up dudleys tiddle-he needs his sawdust!!!

These cages are huge plenty big infact ive the biggest size of dog crate and its the same length lol ive only little mini lops and wouldnt put them near a dog crate i would consider them to be very unsuitable for little rabbits

CollieDolly said:
These cages are huge plenty big infact ive the biggest size of dog crate and its the same length lol ive only little mini lops and wouldnt put them near a dog crate i would consider them to be very unsuitable for little rabbits

The biggest dogcrate is 4ft long - 120cm so def bigger than 100cm.

Minilops are very very active. I have one confined in a cage this size at the moment as he has a wound that won't heal because he keeps ripping it open with his antics when given more space :roll: I feel really guilty about this even though it is for his own good :oops:

I really hope that the other people are right giving you the benefit of the doubt and that you don't actually lock them in these tiny cages.

I have lots of them that I fasten together to make double cages for guinea pigs. I won't rehome a piggie to live in one and certainly not a rabbit. As hosptital cages they can be useful, but never as a permanent home.

My indoor buns have a cage similar to that one for their feeding and toilet and it is a really good price for the cage :D

Excuse me doorkeeper / Louise Ive been in rescue for 15 years one thing i dont do is abuse my pets and i will tell you another thing i dont do is answer to OTT idiots like yourself ... My rabbits along with all my other pets are very well looked after probably better than yours its people like you with your on the soap box type nasty carry on that puts people off forums like these ... I see your in rescue i really do hope you dont speak to the general public like you have done to me ? if so i really think you should give up because with an attitude like your youll let down more than youll help

not an "OTT" view....a view thinking of the rabbits welfare which all of on here are concerned with.

Those cages are nowhere near the minimum sizes recommended by the RWA, RSPCA, etc. which, as you are in rescue, you will be aware of.

Again for a toilet or sleeping area fine..but not full time accomodation. The advice Louise gave, I'm sure, was just to make sure new owners do not think these cages are plenty big enough to keep bunnies in permanently.

I hope as a rescue" you do not rehome rabbits to live in this size cage?

And to add I see nothing abusive in Louise's posts, however yours is rude.

CollieDolly said:
Excuse me doorkeeper / Louise Ive been in rescue for 15 years one thing i dont do is abuse my pets and i will tell you another thing i dont do is answer to OTT idiots like yourself ... My rabbits along with all my other pets are very well looked after probably better than yours its people like you with your on the soap box type nasty carry on that puts people off forums like these ... I see your in rescue i really do hope you dont speak to the general public like you have done to me ? if so i really think you should give up because with an attitude like your youll let down more than youll help

That is really, really harsh and I have to say that I take offence to you calling anyone an idiot, nevermind another board member, who's main concern is for the welfare of rabbits. I did not read Louise's post the same way you did, in no way did she imply that you abuse your pets and as for the way she speaks to people, I much prefer her attitude to yours

But a 48" dog crate has the head room the ferplast cage does not (admittedly mini-lops don't need much head room). I had a ferplast bought for my first house bunny (OH bought it with the bunny from the freeads) - in the end I put the top bit in the loft and used the base as a nice big litter tray - rabbits need to be able to stand on their hind legs and "periscope" the minimum height would mean their ears just touched the top of the cage/hutch (upright eared bunnies).

Also a dog crate can be adapted with a shelf to give double the space to run around and still get the extra head room.

To stop sawdust leaking use correx (like used in GP cages), lino or wood to go around the edges and form a lip.

Caz

Cookie&Twix said:
CollieDolly said:

That is really, really harsh and I have to say that I take offence to you calling anyone an idiot, nevermind another board member, who's main concern is for the welfare of rabbits. I did not read Louise's post the same way you did, in no way did she imply that you abuse your pets and as for the way she speaks to people, I much prefer her attitude to yours

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Oh dear folks can we agree to disagree here..and just say the requirements for size are bigger..BUT for those of us with not much space..our dog crate takes uphalf our lounge seriously!! But before we had another similar cage..woozle spent much time when sleeping or when i was out cos of the cats we had then..who didnt like him much like they did their old dwarf lop doe..
he had sticky up ears and it wasnt right but he used it mainly as a toilet and bed and food station as he was a house bun on the loose..
when he passed we got oscar and he was a teeny mini lop..he suited it fine..in fact we had to make a little ramp so he could get in and out!
When we were considering getting him a pal a lady from the cat n rabbit res cue said it was fine to use for a house bun.and to settle a ne wbun in with till they were bonded and then theyd go int he crate together with the cage upstairs overnite etc.
well he didnt get his pal till ayear or so later and she came from the rescue in waterlooville and bless her she had to live in that cage till they were bonded.but we did her out every day for at least 2 hours..and maybe more if she felt like being a run around bun..but the cage was way too small for her..but shes not a weeny bun.!!
I gave it away to a lady whos bun had suddenly had babies as the pet shop ahd sexed them wrong it did nrsing mum and daughters..then got given to another rescue so it did its turn..
heres what it looked like but i cant remeber how big it was exa c tly..it cost us £52 from pampurred pets back in 2003..

http://www.savic.be/DetAnimal.asp?group=Small Animal&fam=Rabbit cage&product=Nero 3

for oscar we had the dog crate from argos for 349..and it was fine for him even with bif..but thats cos the freedom of all evening and day running free.

when we first got bertie we had no accommadation big enough.the first night he was sqeezedintot he dog crate that came from argos..and the next morning we put up the 8 panel octagonal pen in the lounge..oh my poor carpet!1 he lived in that till bif n him bonded..with time out for a run around..oh my thats a joke..frenchies dont believe in moving far!

it doesnt mater how big or small a cage is..if theres no runa rounds it sstill a prison.
but iagree that more people need to be made aware of the smales limits for a bunny homw can be. and pet shops etc should be made to make people aware or just stop sellinmg thiose cruel boxes they call hutches.

I bought one of those cages 100 you are talking about and I really regret buying it ... I bought one for my mini lop before I planned on bonding her with her future partner...
She had the run of the place and I planned on shutting the cage just overnight.
To be honest I ended up leaving it open so in the end she would just go in there to eat and drink.. I so wish I'd spent my money on a dog crate they are huge!!
I have one of my buns in a dog crate at the moment following his operation and they are really good..
The cage now is just sitting in my shed unused, I think the problem is there is just no head room for them :(

Back