• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question about VHD jabs...

Aliandbuns

Mama Doe
Last year when my bunnies had their VHD jabs I held them while the vet did the injections. (It was the same thing with their myxi jabs 2 weeks ago.)

This year the nurse did their VHD jabs and she took each of my bunnies out of the treatment room so that they could be held by another nurse for the jabs. She said this was because if the bunny moved and she accidentally jabbed me then my fingers might fall off.

It seems odd that the vet let me hold my bunnies last year for their VHD jabs - surely I was at risk then too! Has the procedure changed in the last 12 months or is it because it was the nurse doing it this time?

It struck me afterwards that I didn't even see them get their jabs, so how do I know they actually had them? She might just have taken them next door, given them a cuddle and brought them back again. :?

I have trust issues don't I? :oops: :lol:

How does everyone else's vets do the VHD jabs?

HIya, never ever have i heard of peoples fingers dropping off! My vet always lets me hold my buns because it calms them down and allows him to get on with his job. Is it possible the nurse was new and needed help?

Yes it is true, :eek: you could lose a finger if accidentally injected- although rare.
The nurse was probably just being a bit over-cautious. I've always held my bunnies when having their jabs. :)

I have 40 Buns and vaccinate them myself (with Vets training and permission). I still have 8 fingers and 2 thumbs! :wink: :lol:

There is a very clear warning on the vaccine information sheet about the dangers of accidental injury to humans. So I think the Vet Nurse was erring on the side of caution :)

Janex

Back