• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone had a 2 male and 1 female bond work

Kezza30

Warren Veteran
After taking the mother and her 3 babies the plan was to keep mother and Poppy and get them and my boy buck all neuterd before bonding and my sister would take the 2 remaing babies Casper and Cleo. Having them though i can't bring myself to Casper as i just adore him but i already have a buck. Would it be possible if there all neuterd to bond my buck with the 2 babies who are brother and sister and would it be ok once mother and remaining daughter are alos neuterd to keep those 2 as a pair being 2 does. :?

I've got 2 bonded does, and despite a recent little falling out ( nothing serious, i didn't have to separate them) they love each other to bits.

Can't advise about 2 bucks and a doe, but I vaguely remember that 2 does and a buck work better. I'm sure someone will know.

I suppose at the end of the day its all down to each buns personality as to whether they bond in groups.

Nicola

My experience of two bucks and a doe was unsuccessful. I already had the bucks and acquired another rabbit. I was told it was a boy and it turned out to be a girl. Nibbles and Donut both wanted to be Hanks friend (named before we knew it was a girl) and although if one boy was out with Hank all was fine, if they were both out, Nibbles would chase Donut. Whilst there was never any fighting as such, Nibbles wanted to be with Hank and sat on the grass almost flaunting his friendship with Hank to Donut, who had to live in the borders. It took a few days for us to actually realise what was going on, we just thought Donut was in the borders to get out of the sun. I then noticed the minute Donut stepped onto the grass, Nibbles chased him. After noticing this happening, we had to have one boy out at a time with Hank. This worked fine.

This is obviously my experience and Nibbles was no where near as laid back as Donut. Perhaps this is why it didn't work. I really don't know.

It was a shame though, as Nibbles and Donut were great friends before Hank appeared.

She unfortunately died shortly after we had her (told brain parasite) and Nibbles followed suit a couple of months after (also brain parasite). Thankfully Donut survived after living on panacur for several weeks. He now lives with Bailey, another boy, and I personally would not get a girl to join them - even though Bailey is as docile as Donut.

As long as they're neutered most groups can work - it all depends on the individual rabbits rather than the sex of them - if you see what I mean :? The mother and daughter should be absolutely fine, I had Mum, Dad and two daughters from two different litters all living together and they loved each other to bits.

Thanks for the dvice. Poppy and Casper are very close and always play together and Buttons is very laid back and placid. I just have to give it a go and see how it works out, but they will be all neuterd definatly before any introductions and i'll take it slowley :D

Hi,

I have 2 trios that are 2 boys and a girl. In both cases we started with a mixed pair and added a neutered male.

In one trio the female is boss and in the other the original male has frequent bossy moments but in general it has been good.

I also have a bonded pair of males.

Good luck what ever you decide.

Thanks happybunny. Poppy and Casper are siblings so they are already a bonded pair and Buttons my oldest rabbit will be the one being added in. i guess it's either a 50/50 it will or won't work but i won't now unless i try and i should give it a go :D

When the 2 babies are old enough, which should be neuterd fist buck or doe and should i seperate them already bonded :?

Hi I have a group of 4 bucks and 2 does together. They have all come in at different points as they are all rescues. There is the occasional scuffle but nothing major. Again like others have said it depends on the individual rabbits, you know your bunnies best!! x Jess

Thanks, i'm abit worried about the 2 babies hitting maturity though, i'll need to sperate them untill i can have both neuterd but will it break the bond thats already there and will this upset them both :?

I'm probably going to get really told off for this but I have a brother and sister living together. The boy was neutered a bit before 16 weeks (my vet knew and was happy to do so) and he went straight back with his sister. They are indoor buns and she hasn't been speyed yet. My vet told me the chances of her getting pregnant were extremely small, and we chatted and thought seperating them both for a long period if time would be v stressful for them both. So they were together v soon after. :? I know alot of people maybe would think this terrible as there was a slight risk of babies but to me that risk was outweighed by them being happy. (Oh god - I'm going to get in so much trouble aren't i!?) So anyway thats what i did, but i realise its perhaps not the best or most advisable way to do so :? Sorry!

I'll have trouble seperating them when there mature as they just love playing and they sleep in the house in the cage together to. I'll just have to toughen up and split them when the time comes while i'm waiting on Casper getting neuterd. I'd be able to add them back togethether after a few weeks of his op while i wait to get her spayed, i hope anyway. So new to bonding and know nothing :roll:

Two of my trios are two boys and a girl. I also have two all girl trios, one all male and one that is two female with one male. It really is the personality that is important rather than the sexes of the rabbits.

Back