• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So...how are your bunnies coping with the cold? :-)

Veronica

Mama Doe
Thought I'd pop a post up to see how all our bunnies are coping with this freezing weather :)

All of mine are now located inside the summerhouse, and going by the thermometre hanging on the wall inside, the temperature inside the shed hasn't got to below 1 degree :)

None of the bottles have frozen, so the temp is staying nice and steady :D

All buns have loads of straw and hay....and this week I added those hooded cat beds in each of the hutches. Wow! Have these gone down a treat! The buns are alllllllways in them! :D They are really snug and cosy...and I'm sleeping better in the knowledge the buns and piggies have them for extra warm to snuggle into :D
I've got a bale of straw and 5 sacks of fresh hay....I've also just got another sack of rabbit pellets, a bag of piggie mix and loads of veg! They are well kitted out for being snowed in yay! :D

All my babies are coping very well :love:

How are yours doing?

P.S.
The snow is coming down nicely here....I hope it just thickens up, so we are snowed in tomorrow! :D My mum went shopping tonight, so we have a house full of supplies, central heating and my bed.....I sooooooo wanna be snowed in! :D :D :D

My bunnies don't seem bothered by the cold at all - they run around like nutters outside in all weathers and seem quite happy to sit by the open mesh part of their hutch rather than in their nice cosy bedroom. Although they have been sleeping in their bedroom at night - I can tell cos there are 2 bunny-shaped imprints in the straw. :lol:

Veronica said:
My mum went shopping tonight, so we have a house full of supplies, central heating and my bed.....I sooooooo wanna be snowed in! :D :D :D

Oooh Sounds fab! :D Tills indoors so is fine, and Jens in the shed. She's happy enough in there with loads of hay :) Does go out in the run every day and gets a bit cold as she dont do much moving about .. but she seems fine :) X

Buttons doesn't seem bothered and spends the whole day sitting in the run including while it rains :roll: I have put extra straw and hay in his hutch and covered it tightley with insulating fabric and so far i've not had his bottle freeze. The mother and babies are staying inside till the weather warms up so there fine to :D

both mine are indoor buns not that it would matter if they were outside we havent got any snow and the most we have had this year is a few mm which melted within 12 hours :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry: i want snoooooow! (none forecast though)

My infamous 40 are all indoors. Maggie stuck her nose outside the backdoor this morning but decided the garden was way too cold and so went back into the lounge to lie down under a radiator!! :roll: :lol:

Janex

Veronica said:
and this week I added those hooded cat beds in each of the hutches. Wow! Have these gone down a treat! The buns are alllllllways in them! :D They are really snug and cosy...and I'm sleeping better in the knowledge the buns and piggies have them for extra warm to snuggle into :D

Can we see photos??

I want to get some soft furnishings :D beds/baskets/vetbed etc so my buns are all snug and cosy!! What do your buns think of these sort of items??

My bunnies dont seem to notice the cold at all. Same behaviour as always!! In and out of the hutch/run all day.

My bunnies dont seem bothered by the cold, its me that worries about them. Lily is in the shed with plenty of hay and a snugglesafe and hot water bottle wrapped in newspaper under the straw :oops: yet when i look out she's sat outside, and Charlie is in the playhouse with same as Lily but he sits outside also, both runs are covered with plastic sheeting :wink: . Theres only my Guinea pigs wha appreciate me :D they are sat inside their hutch, cuddled up in plenty of hay and sat on snugglesafes, keeping warm and not sat in their runs. :D

My two are in the garage and seem ok, they have loads of straw and hay to keep them warm. Pip sits outside in her run all day but Lily sits in her box full of straw, i don't think coz she's cold, just coz its her fave spot :lol: Lil goes out in run for hours and seems ok even tho i check on them both every 5 mins to make sure they ok :lol: they both have snuggle safes, Lily loves hers and sits on it straight away. Pip wasn't too impressed and ignored hers but then found a big poo stuck on it so she must've been on it. I love them both so much, worry bout them,

Fi, Lily and Pip xxx

I got my two all snuggled up with some seriously nice hay (from a tiny local pet shop I've never been to before... but it was very cheap, very good quality and they don't sell animals!), a lovely warm snuggle-safe and extra straw. What did they do? Both of them kicked all the bedding down flat, threw some out the front of the hutch for good measure and then settled down to sleep as close to the mesh door as they could :roll:

fluffiebunnie said:
Veronica said:
and this week I added those hooded cat beds in each of the hutches. Wow! Have these gone down a treat! The buns are alllllllways in them! :D They are really snug and cosy...and I'm sleeping better in the knowledge the buns and piggies have them for extra warm to snuggle into :D

Can we see photos??

I want to get some soft furnishings :D beds/baskets/vetbed etc so my buns are all snug and cosy!! What do your buns think of these sort of items??

Molly loved hers... so much so that I buried her in it :cry: It was from Wilkos. I tried one with Totti and Brody but they weren't fussed and nibbled it as well :shock:

The lovely Molly in hers

DSC00421.jpg

My bunnies are fine too! Don't seem to notice the cold! All our snow has melted now but apparently Amy was out in her run when it was snowing on Thur! Think I worry more than they do!!

Mine haven't been bothered at all by it. Each pair have two lovely hutches filled with hay, but haven't been using them at night, preferring to play about in the run instead. There's been a lot of re-arranging going on, the little bunnies have even made a little nest in one of the planters in their run. Very cute!

We moved Humphrey and Tilly into their new bunny shed beginning of Dec I think, when the weather was still quite mild. They seem to be fine in their bunny shed, they have a new hutch in there which has lots of places for them to keep warm, although oddly they don't seem to go in the bedding compartment very often!

The water bottles have frozen only once in this weather, though I have been putting a hot water bottle in their hutch every morning and evening... and (naughty I know) giving them some extra pellets and rolled oats to keep them insulated. They have a cat donut bed and lots of vetbed in there, however they too seem to prefer to sit beside the mesh door and look longingly out at the garden! They also like the top floor of their hutch - now they've worked out where it is hehe :)

Mine seem to be OK. They have had a Snugglesafe every night (not sure whether they actually like it, but never mind!!), and have had extra pellets on extra cold nights. They've also been kept upstairs in their hutch (blocked up the hole to the ramp) on extra cold nights, which they were not impressed with. Water bowl froze one night, so I started putting a few drops of vegetable oil in.

SarahP said:
Mine seem to be OK. They have had a Snugglesafe every night (not sure whether they actually like it, but never mind!!), and have had extra pellets on extra cold nights. They've also been kept upstairs in their hutch (blocked up the hole to the ramp) on extra cold nights, which they were not impressed with. Water bowl froze one night, so I started putting a few drops of vegetable oil in.

Does this stop it from freezing?? Never thought of that! Good tip. :D

My bunnies have requested that I leave the central heating on all day as it gets a little chilly for them mid day. I have compromised and have provided them with a box!

bunny-mad said:
SarahP said:

Does this stop it from freezing?? Never thought of that! Good tip. :D

Am not 100% sure of success yet, as the weather hasn't been quite so cold ever since, but it hasn't frozen either, so fingers crossed...

Back