• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Prengant bun question

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Me my mum and my sister went to a garden center today and we popped in to look at the buns. Well they had an adult rabbit in a cage with a note saying 'do not touch this rabbit - she is pregnant'

The poor girl had no where to hide, no nesting box or anything. Just a bowl of rabbit mix and nothing else except a mouldy carrot. I said to the girl there was a mouldy carrot in there and she snapped at me that she put it in there for nutritional value :? Please can someone just tell me if that is right because I am worried? Also the pregnant rabbit had no hay just the sawdust she was laying on. Surely a pregnant rabbit needs hay all the time? :? The lady just looked at me like I was stupid when I said about the hay :(

Surely they cant put a pregnant bunny on display in a busy garden center. There were loads of people staring and trying to touch her :(

They also had a male adult bunny in another cage with no hay. Although he did have a tunnel to play in :roll: But his eyes were all like crusty in the corner! :(

My sister made a really big scene in the shop and was shouting at the staff!

That sounds awful!!! YES, ALL rabbits need hay all the time and that sounds like a completely inappropriate way to keep a pregnant doe. I would ask to speak to the manager and give him some print outs about rabbit care and tell him you will be back to check on them in a few days and if nothing has improved you will be contacting the RSPCA.

Thanks Spacegirl. I know all buns need a constant supply of hay so I was just so shocked to see a pregnant rabbit with none :(

My sister spoke to the manager and just got snapped at. They also had baby buns who did have plenty of hay and toys. Although the sign said they were rexes but they werent :roll:

Im not sure if leaflets would even help, I mean we started off really polite but they werent even listening :?

My sister just phoned them and they said they didnt know for certain the bun was pregnant and they put the note up incase she is. She said she is reporting them.

I didnt realise that they actually bred buns themselves though. I just assumed that pet shop buns came from breeders :? But like my sister pointed out its coming up to easter :(

sillyrabbit said:
My sister made a really big scene in the shop and was shouting at the staff!

I like your sister!! :D I definately think you should pop back in a couple of days and check if she's in better conditions and if not tell them you're going to report them! take your sister too, she sounds great!

I like your sister!! I definately think you should pop back in a couple of days and check if she's in better conditions and if not tell them you're going to report them! take your sister too, she sounds great!

We are going back on Tuesday :D

I was just explaining to them quietly and then my sister came marching over like 'Oi if you were about to have a baby you wouldnt like to be put on display would you' and when we were leaving she said to the guy 'dont worry I will be back soon' I was like omg what happened to my sweet little sister :shock: :lol:

Back