• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

After care for a Spayed Lady Bunny!

karen&poppy

Warren Scout
I am getting Poppy spayed in the next couple of weeks but i am in a predicament! She is an outside bunny with a big hutch and constant access to a run. What would be the best after care i could give her? I am tempted to bring her inside for a couple of days after the op - but my mum reckons the temperature change is a bad thing and that just putting her on hutch rest (she has to jump down into the run) and remaining outside would be the better option. What does everybody think?

we had sam speyed on tuesday this week.

the vet issued us with an information leaflet,a swell as talking us through what to watch for.

they actually suggest where possible, for the first night following the anisthetic to keep the bunny indoors.

you have to cvheck teh temprature of their ears last thing at night, and ensure taht tehy have begun eating within 12 hours.

we have to return sam to teh vets tommorrow for her post op check up which tehy recommend two-three days later.

I would bring her in for at least the first night, that's what my vet recommends following surgical procedures.

You will be watching her very closely to check that she is eating, drinking, pooing etc. so it will be easier for you if she is inside anyway.

Just put the heating off. Brrrr!

I put lots of vetbed, blankets etc down to make her comfortable and keep her wound clear of anything that would irritate it.

Fiona x

I kept Smokey in for the first couple of nights (she didn't eat) and then when she went outside, I kept her in the playhouse and althought she had hay to eat, I didn't put any down for her to sleep on. I used lots of old towels, duvets and vetbed to keep her warm for the first week until she could go back on hay.

I must say, towels are dead easy to clean out, just sling them in the washing machine.

after liasin g wth the vet, w ehave started to us emegazorb as bedding for the buns (we alreday used it for our rodents).

you can buy a massive sack from farm shops for about £6.

we then provide hay along with veggies, and pellets.

teh megazorb is much softer than hay for lying on, esp after an op.

Back