• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help rabbit pulling out fur! update

willowflower

Warren Scout
hi well as you all know by now my dillion is a bit of an akward bunny he defies almost everything normal for a bunny but this is really worrying me.
for the past couple of weeks he's been in a really bad moult their is hair everywhere i put it down to the weather getting a bit milder in the silly so and so thinking it was spring but i went out this morning to check on him and noticed he's actually pulling out his fur.
and there appears to be what i'd call a nest. do male buns build nests? or is he trying to keep warm?
i'm worried it might me something serious am i juat being a little over protective? he's eating deinking and pooing fine.
thanks
leona

This may be a silly question but are you SURE Dillon is a Buck!!??

If you are is he a single Bunny? Fur pulling can be a behavioural problem and he may need more companionship from another Rabbit (assuming he is neutered)
Occassionally Bucks do build nests but its more often with using just hay/straw and not much fur.

Janex

yeah he's definitely a buck i had him neutered when he was 6 months he has a lady bun in beside him called ava they have a whole shed with a run attatched

This happened to me before and someone suggested an allergy to something e.g. hay/straw/sawdust. If he's definately a boy it may just be a skin irritation? Hope this helps xxx

well had dillion at vet first thing this morning and i'm still a bit confused
vet says it's nothing to worry about that dillion started to moult to early and now he's trying to insulate he's hutch cos he's feeling cold.
has anyone heard of this? or do you think i need a second opinion?

Back