• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit and Guineapig Illness

kayjay

Warren Veteran
A friend of mine on another forum has a rabbit who lives (seperately) in a shed with guineapigs. He's been diagnosed with a respiratory infection and is on baytril.

One of her guineapigs has died and now another is showing the same symptoms, which is weight loss and small poos.

I know I've read that there is something that can be passed from rabbits to piggies (or is it the other way round?)

Can anyone remember what it is??

Thanks Kathryn x

Bordetella is a resp infection that affects dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, rodents and rarely humans....It can be transmitted even if not living in same quarters...

Oh I should stress that although it is zoonotic it is EXTREMELY RARE!!!! Don't want to make anyone paranoid :?

Just found this snippet on a website too:

'It is important to note that the most common pneumonia causing bacteria in guinea pigs is natural flora for rabbits and rats – if rabbits and rats are kept as pets in the same home, they must be kept away from each other.'

And also as Leanne says

'Rabbits carry a bacterium called Bordetella bronchiseptica in their respiratory system which causes no problems to rabbits, but if transferred to a guinea pig it can be fatal.'

Back