• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Two buns, two different problems - U/D Puppy is depressed

Laurz

Warren Scout
Two days ago I had two healthy rabbits, now I have two worries!

Lucy was spayed yesterday and has been asleep ever since. All of last night I monitored her eating, drin king and pooing and weeing but she didn't drink or wee from 5pm when I picked her up till 10pm when I went to bed. Got up at 7 this morning and she still hasn't wee'd or had a drink. I'm really worried as she's looking really thin and you can see her bones! Luckily, the school I work at is closed today, so I've arranged a vets appointment for 10am but I'd really like people's advice from here because I want to do everything I can for her. She has eaten some hay and done a few poos.

This morning, I also noticed that Puppy is grunting a bit. It's like she's got hiccups but with a grunt instead of a hic (if you see what I mean). She has been known to grunt before but not this much. There's no discharge on her nose and she's eating and drinking as normal but I'm worried that she's got something wrong with her breathing.

:( :( I'm feeling a bit down and any advice would be really wonderful,

Thanks guys

I think you're doing the right thing taking them to the vets. After Pippa was spayed she was very quiet and didn't eat or poop until the next day but she did have a drink and a wee, it's possible she's in pain and needs a painkiller and gut stimulant - hope she's ok

Thanks hun,

It's great to hear from someone who's had experience of spaying. I didn't know how much to worry about Lucy or if it was normal. Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease a bit. :)

Yes, I'd say that Lucy is in discomfort and would benefit from some more analgesia. Your Vet MIGHT have administered some sub-cutaneous fluids after Lucy's spay so she may be well hydrated and not feel the need to drink. The fact that she looks 'thin' may be because she is pulling her abdominal muscles in due to discomfort. I am sure your Vet will help her feel much more comfy and it is a very positive sign that she has eaten a little and poo'd :)

Puppy may have a respiratory tract infection and your Vet will be able to prescribe antibiotics for this. If an infection is diagnosed and Puppy has contact with Lucy it may be a good idea to ask your Vet if Lucy should have a course of antibiotics too. Her immune system will be at a low ebb due to the spay and she may be more likely to pick up the infection too.
Good luck at the Vets

Janex

Thanks Jane.

Just got back from the Vets with Lucy. Vet said she has a very low temperature and has bandaged the wound up and given her some fluids via injection. At the moment, Lucy is curled up in a blanket with a hot water bottle, infront of the fire. I've never seen her look so lifeless, she's usually really confident and bouncy! :(

I'm going to book and appointment for Puppy at the weekend cos we've had six inches of snow and I don't want to do any more driving today. I'll keep them apart to stop the spread of infection to Lucy.

Thanks so much for your support everyone xxx

Laurz said:
Thanks Jane.

Just got back from the Vets with Lucy. Vet said she has a very low temperature and has bandaged the wound up and given her some fluids via injection. At the moment, Lucy is curled up in a blanket with a hot water bottle, infront of the fire. I've never seen her look so lifeless, she's usually really confident and bouncy! :(

I'm going to book and appointment for Puppy at the weekend cos we've had six inches of snow and I don't want to do any more driving today. I'll keep them apart to stop the spread of infection to Lucy.

Thanks so much for your support everyone xxx

Did the Vet give Lucy any pain relief?

Sorry to stress you but IF Puppy has a respiratory tract infection it is so important to get him on treatment ASAP. The trouble is the infection (IF that is what it is) can track down to the lungs and cause pneumonia :cry:
I really am sorry to add to your stress and worry but I dont want you to be lulled into a false sense of security re Puppy either.

Maybe you could request a home Visit from the Vet ?

Janex

Ah, right, will have to rethink then.

The vet said she'd given Lucy fluid injections but didn't mention pain relief. She hasn't moved since I wrapped her in the blanket.

Will speak to the vet re:puppy.

Thanks Jane, you're a star!

Laurz said:
Ah, right, will have to rethink then.

The vet said she'd given Lucy fluid injections but didn't mention pain relief. She hasn't moved since I wrapped her in the blanket.

Will speak to the vet re:puppy.

Thanks Jane, you're a star!

Re Lucy- If she is in pain she wont maintain her temperature so will need constant help with this. She will also need syringe feeding if she has now stopped eating. My Vet prescribes METACAM BY INJECTION for circumstances such as this. Once Lucy's pain is controlled she should feel much better

Good luck and I hope both Bunnies are soon fit and well

Janex

I am absolutely distraught, Lucy's temperature got lower and lower. I took her back to the vet and they put her on some fluids. About 4pm they phoned to say she had passed away. I'm so so sad. Feel like there's a great big hole in my life. And poor Puppy is already looking heartbroken. Lucy was the leader and Puppy relied on her for everthing. Our house won't be the same without her.

I am so sorry, I was only reading this thread just a few minutes ago.

Bless her little heart. Poor wee Lucy, hope she has fun at the bridge and eases your pain.

Hugs to you and Puppy.

Fiona x

Laurz said:
I am absolutely distraught, Lucy's temperature got lower and lower. I took her back to the vet and they put her on some fluids. About 4pm they phoned to say she had passed away. I'm so so sad. Feel like there's a great big hole in my life. And poor Puppy is already looking heartbroken. Lucy was the leader and Puppy relied on her for everthing. Our house won't be the same without her.

Oh No!! :( :(

I really cannot adequately express how sorry I am.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Janex

Sorry to hear your sad news.

I have a tip for future reference to you all, please dont be put off by neutering.

My bun came back from being neutered and wouldnt eat.(his little poos were like 2-3mm diameter) I heard that if they dont eat after 12 hours the liver starts to suffer damage.

I luckily bought some ''garden balm'' like little sticks- for a couple of pounds off ebay. they are supposed to help calm rabbits etc.

I fed them to him- it was all he would eat and within 48 hours his apetite had returned, I reccomend these for anyone having a bun neutered.

blogger.jpg

:cry: :cry: Oh no I'm so sorry...
I lost my Molly just over a week after she was spayed...
Thinking of you at this very sad time :( :(
Karen x

Thanks everyone, your kind words mean a lot to me, and Puppy.

I know spaying was the right choice for Lucy as she had lots of phantom pregnancies last year and it really stressed her out. I didn't want her to have another spring of stress. I knew there was a risk, but it was still a shock.

I will miss her but it's nice to know she's at the bridge with lots of other buns. Thank you again for all your support. Many people wouldn't believe you can get so upset over a rabbit but I know you guys on here understand what joy they can bring to our lives and how sad it is when we lose them.

I`m so terribly sorry you`ve lost beautiful Lucy. :cry: :cry: :cry:
May she binky free at the bridge.
Sending vibes to Puppy & hugs to you.

Su.x

So very sorry to hear of your loss, I too lost a pet that I thought the world of yesterday. Thinking of you at this very sad time.

Jo

Back