• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do all albino's have sight problems?

Fairy13

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, I don't know if this is a silly question or not! :oops:
Just I've noticed a few rabbits on RR that are albino and it says they have sight problems. And we looked after our friends bun for a couple of weeks who's albino and he did a funny thing where he'd sit and sway almost like he was focusing, esp. if you'd just walked in the room. And then we noticed that our new addition Daisy did the same, she's albino too. And she just did an enormous binky across the lounge floor. . . and bumped head long into the tv cabinet (sorry Daisy. . . I laughed :oops:) she's fine though I might add!
I was just curious and also wondered if there was any other reason for it and whether its ok? I've never had albinos before so sorry if I'm being a bit rubbish and asking something really obvious!

The swaying thing is scanning.
I think eye problems are common in albinos but not always there.
My rabbits (of varying colours!) often binky into things so its not necessarily an eyesight problem - could just be poor judgement :lol:

Scanning? Do other buns do it then? Only I've never noticed any of my others do it until these albinos so I thought it was unique to them?

:lol: little Daisy definitely has poor judgement! I feel awful for laughing at her, but then she always puts on that look of "I meant to do that" :lol:

Red Eyed (Albino) rabbits do generally have poorer vision but the level of impairment probably varies between bunnies so one bun might have an obvious issue and others appear perfectly normal.

Scarlett does the scanning thing and is always binkying into things, but I think thats just because she gets so excited and just jumps about in any direction :lol: She appears to be able to see me fine

I saw it once in a REW but didn't know what it meant :oops:
My Alex is a REW & doesn't do it, but i looked after a friend's bun when she was on holiday - a siamese sable minilop. She did it all the time & used to jump if you picked her up - like she didn't know you were there. I told my friend I thought she had bad eyesight & vet confirmed bad eyesight & hearing. :shock: She was so friendly though.

Mine does, I thought all rabbits did it until I was told it was common in Albinos... She has no problems with it though, you wouldnt know anything was wrong...
As for the binkying into things! :lol: I think thats just a rabbit trait.

My REW doesn't do this, but my little Biscuit does. He has an unusual eye colour, like a bluey grey and I noticed him scanning, I thought something was wrong at first. I tend to talk to him so he knows where I am, especially if I am going to pick him up.

Aw, our Daisy's in good company then! Once we got used to it I think its quite endearing, but my daughter was a bit freaked out at first. She's real love! we're not sure what breed she is, her previous owners said she was sold to them as a mini lop and she's only 4 months or so still yet she's a big girl already :shock:
And she seems to have a little head in comparison to her body but biiigggg back feet! I guess maybe she's just a dwarf lop, but I dont have much experience of lops, just our rescued frenchie and a bundle of cross breeds!
I'm sure someone on here could tell me more! :D
I'm gonna go off and try and get a good piccie!

Tamsin said:
Red Eyed (Albino) rabbits do generally have poorer vision but the level of impairment probably varies between bunnies so one bun might have an obvious issue and others appear perfectly normal.
Crystal one of my Albinos has real poor eyesight she scans ALOT, bumps into things if we move them too, she can also jump out of her skin if you touch her suddenly Smoke-fred her partner helps her see, Ruby however doesnt seem to have bad eyesght and doesn't scan either never bumping into things

I have also notice my albino guinea Lily scans too, not an awful lot but sometimes

My Flopsy scans but doesn't appear otherwise to have a problem with her eyesight, Bella is a REW but she doesn't do it.

Just thought I'd add a couple o picks of Daisy

DaisyWillowball.jpg

HelloDaisy.jpg

:D x x x

Our REW China doesn't do this, but our REW mouse Cloud used to "scan" - I thought it was really cute! :)

AMETHYST

Back