• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harley losing weight? U/D Binky free my special boy x

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
Hi all

Apologies to you all in advance, as this could get long :(

A couple of weeks back I took Harley and Jen to my vet together so that Harley could have a check up proir to both buns having their vaccs. Specifically, I thought I had felt a lump under Harley's chin. I was convinced this might be related to dental problems. However, my vet checked Harley over and looked at his cheek teeth with an octoscope. He reported no serious problems and no spurs, but did say that Harley's back teeth were slightly misaligned and to try and up his hay intake. He felt the lump and said that it was soft, not attached to anything and therefore likely to be a lymph node or just fatty tissue. He weighed Harley and he was 2.4kg, just heavier than Jen. They are about the same size, so no probs there.

Harley was still getting weepy eyes, so the vet prescribed a repeat prescription of Fucithalmic.

I took both rabbits back on Thursday last week for their vaccs. I saw a different vet this time - this chap is also rabbit savvy, but I wanted a second opinion on Harley's health as I'm convinced that he feels thinner. This vet checked Harley over, checked his teeth again and reported exactly the same as the first vet - no major problems, just some misalignment. Nothing that would cause pain. He re-weighed Harley and this time he was 2.2kg, but the vet wasn't overtly concerned about this reduction, particularly as the rabbits are getting a lot of exercise with the new run in place. He checked the lump again and also said that it was nothing to be concerned about. He adminstered the myxi vaccs for both buns and said he would see me in two weeks for the VHD jab.

Neither rabbit had any obvious sign effects from the jabs, apart from Jen developing a small lump that disappeared with 48hrs. However, Harley *still* feels as though he's losing weight. He just feels more fragile than before. On Monday I weighed him on our bathroom scales - 2.1kg. I weighed him again tonight - 1.8kg. Even allowing for the difference in scales, I'm getting seriously worried now. But now two vets have said that Harley is healthy. The second vet said I just needed to realise that Harley is an old man and therefore frail :s

Harley eats plenty and always has a good appetite. I've explored the possibility that Jen might be eating more food and concluded that is unlikely. In fact, just from watching them feed I would suspect that Harley eats all of Jen's food (although her weight is very stable). He eats pellets, veg and dried grass with enthusiasm. He drinks quite a long during the night (when they only have hay, dried grass and pellets) but not an amount to alarm me and certainly no more than Jen.

I'm at a lost what to do. My gut instinct to get him back to a vet asap. However, I've already seen two vets and they both gave Harley a clean bill of health, obvious than his obvious disability. Should I take him to a different practice? I'm in Sheffield.

Why would Harley be losing weight when he is eating so much? He had a course of Pancur last November. Jen feels fit and healthy.

I don't know if I am being vigilant or just paranoid. I don't want to lose Harley or for him to suffer silently if something is wrong :cry:

It may be worth you repeating the course of Panacur, the other option, with losing weight and drinking lots is Kidney/liver problems however his weight has been stable while he was with me except me having to put him on a diet for a fortnight. He could still be heading to avhieve his ideal weight.

Also bear in mind that its winter rabbits use more energy to stay warm and this burns fat.

Thanks Sooz. Argh, these bunnies are such a worry sometimes! :?

I had a look through some threads on here where rabbits have lost weight whilst eating normally and Kidney problems were mentioned, but as you say his weight was stable when he was with you so it does seem unlikely. Both buns are getting a lot of exercise with the new run in place, so many it is just that?

I've upped their pellets the last few days as it's been so cold. Do you think Harley might benefit from having a tablespoon of porridge oats too? I always put him in the hutch first so I could just leave Jen in the run for ten mins whilst he has some oats.

It certainly wont do him any harm :D

I wouldnt worry unless he starts to lose drastic amounts ie his ribs start to show etc. As he is eating its not his teeth anyway.

OK, thanks :D Oh dear, I am such a worrier :oops: I would like to assure everyone that I am not quite this paranoid in other areas of my life - only where my bunnies are concerned! :lol:

I would get him weighed on the SAME scales once a week for two weeks. If the trend is still downwards I'd request a blood profile to check Kidney function. If he was put on Panacur to treat a CONFIRMED case of EC he could now be exhibiting kidney damage. I dont know how old he is but elderly Bunnies lose alot of muscle mass and muscle weighs more than fat. So his weight loss MAY just be part of the natural aging process

Janex

I don't know, but you've obviously got a "gut" feeling that something's amiss, and for your own peace of mind I think you should go with you instinct and get him checked out again. Nobody knows a bun like his own "mum"!
Hilda

Thanks Jane. Since I noticed the weight loss I planned to weigh him every two days on my scales here - is that too often then (do rabbits exhibit the same day to day weight variations as humans?).

I don't know if the EC was confirmed, I think that given his symptons (the cateracts) Sooz's vet treated Harley with a course of Panacur to cover the possibility that EC was the cause of the blindness. *

Harley is between 3-5yrs old. My vet calls him the old man and thinks he's at the top end of that estimate.

I saw the blood test suggested on another thread about weight loss too. If Harley continues to get thinner then I'll definitely request that my vet carries out those tests. Thanks again to you both, I really appreciate your advice :thumb:

* Oops, EDIT: Sooz posted whilst I was writing this! :lol:

capel said:
I don't know, but you've obviously got a "gut" feeling that something's amiss, and for your own peace of mind I think you should go with you instinct and get him checked out again. Nobody knows a bun like his own "mum"!
Hilda

Thanks Hilda. I do have a tendancy to panic though :oops: I do have a feeling that something isn't right, but don't really want to drag Harley to the vets and put him through extra stress unneccessarily :? He is an older bun and the ideas above about him loosing weight through extra exercise or just settling into a steady weight do make sense.

I think I'll hold fire and see how he feels over the next few days. Luckily we do have a very good emergency vet service here in Sheffield (VetsNow) so I guess if I doubt Harley's health at any point I can always get him seen by a vet immediately.

I hope Harleys okay for you.. Lets just hope its all that exercise hes getting up to with Jen :oops: ... Old man at 5 hes just a youngster :D

karen354 said:
I hope Harleys okay for you.. Lets just hope its all that exercise hes getting up to with Jen :oops: ... Old man at 5 hes just a youngster :D

:oops: :lol: I have to say, when we attached the run I didn't think Harls would use it much, but the pair of them are charging about constantly :lol: He even hops through the bunny tunnel after her, which I never expected him to be able to do!

I thought 5yrs was quite old for a bunny :oops:

You and me both!! I know I took Bournville up to my very rabbit savvy vet because I thought he was losing weight. He weighed him, and agreed that he had done, and it was probably because it was now Summer, he was in a much bigger run, and well done because he was looking much better for being less porky!! :D

5 is "middle aged" for a rabbit but due to cancers and other illnesses many rabbits dont live much past this age, although it does depend on size and breed ie Giants only live a few years apparently.

Fortunatley improvements in rabbit medicine and a better understanding of the benefits of neutering mean many bunnies are living longer, healthier lives.

I took Harley to the vet as an emergency tonight.

I reweighed him yesterday evening and he came in at 1.8kg again. I thought this was a good sign - i.e. no further weight loss - but he still felt 'wrong' to me. I put him back in the run with Jen and he seemed happy enough, eating drinking and poo'ing as normal.

This morning he seemed 'quiet' initially, but once he smelt his breakfast he came racing over and tried to climb into the bag of hay as usual. He ate up all of his veg with enthusiasm and was cuddled up with Jen when I left for work.

Tonight I came home early and immediately knew something wasn't right. He seemed very weak and tired and his bottom was smeared with uneaten caecotrophs. He's a very clean rabbit usually. I rang the vet and got him in as an emergency.

The vet we saw tonight agreed that he had lost weight and was dehydrated. She said on the face on it she suspects either that he is diabetic, has kidney failure or liver failure. She said that the prognosis isn't good and offered me te choice of PTS or treatment. I opted for treatment. She's going to do some blood profiles tonight if he rehydrates enough or tomorrow am if not. Harley was on a drip when we left.

I don't know how to feel - when we were waiting in the vets he was digging up the towel in the carrier and chomping on dried grass and I was actually worried that I was wasting their time. Now, just an hour later it all seems extremely serious and I don't think my boy is going to make it :cry:

The vet doesn't think we should try and treat him if his bloods show signs of kidney or liver failure. She's convinced he's at least 5yrs, maybe older and whatever condition he has is likely to be chronic. I don't want to give up on him, but equally I don't want to make him suffer so I don't know what to do if I have to make that decision tomorrow morning.

I asked the vet if Jen could stay with Harley but she thought it was best to keep Harley in alone so that they can monitor his food and fluid intake carefully, so I've brought her home. She doesn't seem too concerned about Harley's absence at the moment but I'm keeping a close eye on her.

Any spare vibes or advice would be gratefully received. I'm sorry this is so long, I waffle too much all the time :(

Tracie x

Tracy, all the vibes you need are on their way. I've no advice to give , just a bit of support.
Hilda

I'm so sorry, and I'm thinking of you and little Harvey. I do hope you don't have to make that decision but I know you'll do what's best for him. Bless you.x

Thank you. Angie, I've sent you a PM too.

I can't believe it either - I know he's a frail chap compared to Jen but he's been through so much... I don't want to lose him now :cry:

I'm going to do my absolute best for him - I'll see how his tests come back but I'm not going to give up on him unless he's obviously uncomfortable or in pain :cry:

Jen is starting to look very lost and sad. She's eaten some pellets and some hay, but she's left some too. Hopefully her man will be home soon :( x

Back