• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Drinking

Monkey

Warren Veteran
Just a quick question.

My new bunny seems to drink and awful lot and pee an awful lot. His previous owner just left him to his own devices in the back garden so he never had a proper supply of water.

Is it anything to worry about? :?

The average water consumption for a Rabbit is 50-100ml/kg/24hrs.
Rabbits who get a lot of fresh Veg tend to drink less.
Excessive drinking and weeing can indicate a kidney problem or diabetes. If your Bun is drinking well above the norm on a daily basis and if his wee is very watery I would take him and a specimen of his wee to your Vet to make sure there is not a physiological problem

Janex

He has quite a few veggies carrot and cabbage aong with his dried foods. His pee looks quite watery, not as dark as normal pee and i'd say he drinks about 150 - 200mls per pay water.

How would i go about getting a pee sample??

I had a rabbit who drank an awful lot. I took her to the vet, but he could find nothing wrong. A year later I found that she had kidney stones. By the time I found this out it was too late, and she only had about 2 months to live. I would take your bun to the vet, and specifically ask about kidney stones. I think you need an X-ray to detect them, which is a problem as it is expensive and means anaesthatising bun, but maybe there is something else they can do to check ...

Monkey said:
How would i go about getting a pee sample??

By watching and waiting with a syringe at the ready!! If he uses a litter tray then leaving just hay in it (ie nothing absorbant) means you can then syringe up the wee. If you cant get a sample dont worry. Your Vet may be able to express your Buns bladder.

Janex

Back