• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question for Rescues re advertising

luvabun

Warren Veteran
Was wondering how Rescues advertise their bunnies. Obviously there's RR and websites but I wondered how you advertise to the local area, presuming FreeAds are a no-no. :?

Rescues may be able to share their successful advertising tips here :)

ARC use a monthly printed out sheet of some of the animals which are currently available and send them out to about 40 vets / pet shops (obviously not live stock selling ones), this also has a link to the website on it.

We also have our website. We put some on RR but not all the ones we have and some do get rehomed via that. We did try a few other websites with no responce.

ARC also have a stall on Richmond Green and Twickenham Green May Fairs where we not only sell things, but also have a large board showing all out current animals who are looking for homes. We also hand out leaflets. If ARC get invited by Sainsbury we are allowed to collect outside one of their nominated stores, we do a money collection and pet food collection, again we hand out leaflets.

My son did an article one year for his school newsletter about ARC helping with two large piggie rescues which also brought in a few homes, we had one enquiry at the time and about 6 over the years since then from people who kept the contact details.

Wow Janice some excellent ideas there :D I didn't realise there was so many Vets/ good guy Pet shops in the Twickers area :)

Hi Jill

RR has been very succesful for me and of course this forum too :D

But I have also homed quite a few through simply word of mouth, neighbours talking to work colleagues, etc. And people who have previously adopted speaking to their family and friends.

Then I have small posters up in 2 vets surgeries and these also work well as people tend to read everything on the wall whilst waiting!

A pet shop that stopped selling rabbits (yippee! :D )..has a small poster and also some info slips to hand out and, although I haven't rehomed any rabbits through them yet, I have had donations of food, hay and newspapers :D

We also went to boot sales through most of the summer/autumn and handed out lots of leaflets there...the best response through this was people's interest in learning how to improve their rabbit care, but we also gained a brilliant new fosterer and a couple of homes for bunnies through this.

luvabun said:
Wow Janice some excellent ideas there :D I didn't realise there was so many Vets/ good guy Pet shops in the Twickers area :)

We send out to vets as far out as Putney and Greenford which is about 8 - 10 miles away. Down here that is a distance, whereas where you are it is probably not.

I reguarly rehome piggies as far away as Bracknall, Brighton and even some to Essex, although we dont leaflet that far!

jrn1310 said:
We send out to vets as far out as Putney and Greenford which is about 8 - 10 miles away. Down here that is a distance, whereas where you are it is probably not.
:) I'm not a million miles away from you Janice... I'm in Longacres country i.e. Bagshot :lol:

Round here a local rescue advertises in the free-ads as giving out help, advice and leaflets on how to care for pet rabbits - I assume some people do then contact them about adopting too.

The local RSPCA animal centre advertises in the pet section of our local free newspaper (every week so I assume they are given that slot for free) and the pet section also carries a warning about impulse buying pets that you don't have the time/resources to care for properly.

Caz

Just been having a chat with a friend about this and she suggested that maybe the FreeAds are a good place to advertise as anybody browsing would realise there are Rescues/ other options as well.

Interesting :)

luvabun said:
jrn1310 said:
:) I'm not a million miles away from you Janice... I'm in Longacres country i.e. Bagshot :lol:

I know :D I take most of the piggies Lorna gets asked to rehome due to the lack of space Lorna usually has, as a consequence my number often gets given to people looking for piggies in your area.

I have some supplies I must drop off to Lorna next time I am down that way, bits for the buns who are a little under the weather. I will let you know when I am down there next as I do like the Long Acres Garden centre. I will be down once I can get the garden tidied up and need some new plants

I advertise on the two links below, our website & this:) Plus 4 local vets and the big pet supply shop. I have tried the free ads once but big mistake. Got more offers of people wanting to off load bored childrens pets :/ Not exactly what I was going for!

I put folders of rabbits details in my local petshop/vet for 4/5 of the rescues within an hours drive of here.

I'm thinking about seeing if I can get some local papers to put details in regularly from RR but I'm not sure about that, I don't want to step on any toes with the advertising rescues are doing locally.

Tam

Tamsin said:
I put folders of rabbits details in my local petshop/vet for 4/5 of the rescues within an hours drive of here.

I'm thinking about seeing if I can get some local papers to put details in regularly from RR but I'm not sure about that, I don't want to step on any toes with the advertising rescues are doing locally.

Tam
Good idea Tam and give me a shout if you need any help collating the info, if I can help, I will

That would be great Jill, finding time to do the organising was the other thing that was putting me off. I'll have a think about how to set things up and get back to you :D

does anyone think this gumtree attached to ebay is worth advertising in the pet sections of their local area :?:

I know that gumtree is relatively new and I am guessing that this is where many of the buns that sneak onto ebay will end up in some way but thought it might be an idea that rescues could use but rather than use the name 'rescue' perhaps a 'rehoming centre' might be more appropriate to try and stop animals being dumped :wink: also, contact can be through email without giving your address out :wink:

Back