• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A little concerned about Eddie U/D Respiratory Infection

peediepixie

Mama Doe
He was awfully 'quiet' when I went out to feed them before and ignored the food I put down for them...
They are not buns who like to be handled or stroked but he let me stroke him which is unusual... he did hop off eventually though. He's just snuggled in the end part of the hutch which isn't the bit they usually are found in. Elsa was like this a whiley ago but was fine the next day. Elsa was outside shooting around but he didn't venture out at all, again unusual :(
I was wondering if its maybe the cold weather or something more untoward?
They are going to the vet on Thurs for their VHD jabs so will get him checked then anyway.
Any advice? :?

If Eddie is refusing food and is very quiet I think he needs to see the Vet tonight. He may have tummy pain which will need prompt treatment (gut motility meds and pain relief)
Has Eddie poo'd and wee'd normally? A Bun who is refusing food really cant wait to be seen by a Vet.
Poor wee Eddie :( do keep us posted as to how he is doing.

Janex

Thanks Jane, its difficult to tell if he's eating etc as they don't really tend to delve right in as I'm watching them anyway :? And because he's in with Elsa i don't know who's currants are who's!! :lol: I'll go and check him again and see how he is now, he might have just been tired :? If he's no better then I'll give the vet a shout :(

Pippa was like that the other Sunday and I made the decision to wait until Monday and she was fine by Monday.

If in doubt though, see a vet, I hope he's ok

Just been out to check and he has moved and is moving around but keeps lying down and stretching out his back legs so i'm thinking he does have a sore tummy :( Vet it is :(

Hi all, well the vet says Eddie has a respiratory infection :( He's had an antibiotic injection and I've got electrolyte sachets to put in their water and antibiotics (Baytril) to give him too. I've also got Recovery sachets to try and give him for the next 3 days but she says if he's not eating by himself by tomorrow she wants him back in. I've also set up a run for them in the garage as its icy outside and quite cold. She is hopeful for him though as he's still interested in things and has a bit of fight in him. She thinks I got it early enough so fingers crossed for my little man :(

Good job you took him to the vets then, sending vibes for him to recover quickly, there are a lot of nasty bugs around right now aren't there

Hope he's ok

I have syringed some water and some recovery sachet for Eddie which he accepted this morning but when I tried to give him more this afternoon he just let it run out of his mouth again but he does seem to have perked up a bit and the food that ran out of his mouth went on his paws and I saw him cleaning his paws afterwards so it went in one way or another :lol: Not sure if he's eating or not still but as he's picked up a little but, sitting up instead of lying down all the time, I am a bit happier too :)

peediepixie said:
I have syringed some water and some recovery sachet for Eddie which he accepted this morning but when I tried to give him more this afternoon he just let it run out of his mouth again but he does seem to have perked up a bit and the food that ran out of his mouth went on his paws and I saw him cleaning his paws afterwards so it went in one way or another :lol: Not sure if he's eating or not still but as he's picked up a little but, sitting up instead of lying down all the time, I am a bit happier too :)

Its good news that he is brighter but it also important to be sure there is a bit of food going in and poo coming out. Keeping his guts going whilst he fights the respiratory tract infection will give him the best possible chance of a speedy recovery.

Janex :)

Perkier again tonight. Its so difficult, they usually eat mostly at night and I can't sit up all night watching them :? :lol: I have been giving him what i can manage of the recovery and spread the last of it on the food in the bowl as directed by the vet. :) i am much happier with him now and am confident he'll still be with us in the morning, unlike last night :cry:

Eddie is much better today, when I went in to check on them this morning Eddie was on top of the box i put in for them.
I put in some fresh paresely for them and I saw his pull out an old bit of mint I put in for them yesterday and eat it :roll: But he's eating again and back to his usual self, phew :D :D

peediepixie said:
Eddie is much better today, when I went in to check on them this morning Eddie was on top of the box i put in for them.
I put in some fresh paresely for them and I saw his pull out an old bit of mint I put in for them yesterday and eat it :roll: But he's eating again and back to his usual self, phew :D :D

Great news!! :D

Janex

Back