• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing Ideas

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Ok guys i need some housing ideas from you!!! Some of the runs we have here are in desperate need of binning and new ones being built to replace them! What i need are ideas!! I can't have sheds (would love to but can't) and i need something which is movable and preferably detachable run and hutch so it can be transported easily. i need to replace 4 of the runs we have, one needs to be big enough for 3 giants and Stitch (shos tiny), 1 for 4 3.5kg bunnies, one for 3 fairly small bunnies and 1 for two bunnys, all of this lot currently have spaces approx 7ft lng x 4ft wde x 3ft high, with a hutch either end and sheltered areas underneath the hutches. The giants housing does need to be bigger than this but it's the best i have at the mo.

as i say they need to be movable, so can't weigh to much and preferably detachable runs making them easier to move. Im no stranger to DIY as i made all the current runs bar the hutches. I don't know how much i will have to spend yet im guessing about £1000, but this wont be until Augest Sept, but i do want to make a start on ideas, plans and collecting materials until i get the £1000. I may well need to replace at least one of the runs before August as it fell apart last week and was repaired but i don't know how much longer it will last. I also need to be able to get in and out easily, currently the run roofs fold back so i can climb in.

Ok so Tall order guys anyone any ideas????

No ideas Phill, I'm still trying to build a run :lol: Looking forward to ideas though, if you don't mind me copying the odd one or two :D

kayjay said:
No ideas Phill, I'm still trying to build a run :lol: Looking forward to ideas though, if you don't mind me copying the odd one or two :D

Not at all Kathryn! I would re-build the kind that i have but they are incredibly difficult to move and my back is getting worse! I just can't do it anymore, and all the constant movment with the runs being permenantly attached is causing them to fall apart!

Hmm Kathryn thats a great idea!! Incorporate handle into the frame, shouldn't be too difficult!

kayjay said:

Hi
What sort of run are you building?

Mine's pretty much fixed in place against a wall, but not sure if this will help:
runmats.jpg

We built it so that one side opens
runopen.jpg

Sorry Phill, my run is no good for you I'm afraid!
Lian

Nice idea though lian! thank you, they have to be movable at the moment as i can't paved half the lawn so i need to be able to keep moving the rabbits to fresh grass

That's great Lian, thanks! I've been attempting to build the bunnyhugger run but we're not very good at diy. The buns are in the shed and we want a run coming off it, there is a wall behind it so might be able to be creative. I would like it big enough to hold a hutch for summer use as the shed's going to be very warm for them.

Phill said:
Nice idea though lian! thank you, they have to be movable at the moment as i can't paved half the lawn so i need to be able to keep moving the rabbits to fresh grass

Don't your buns dig their way out? MJ digs out on grass within minutes :roll:

kayjay said:
Phill said:

Don't your buns dig their way out? MJ digs out on grass within minutes :roll:

There current runs have mesh on the bases!! :D

That's what I need to do then, what size mesh do you use?? Don't want their feet caught up in it.

First week I had him I left him and Pippa in the run and went in the house. Half an hour later Angus came running in to tell me MJ was half out of the run. His head was sticking up the other side and it was only the fact he has a big bum that he didn't escape :shock:

Kay would have killed me :lol: So now he goes on concrete or the pws run under supervision - he's very clever - he digs a hole, and sits on it to hide it and then when I'm not looking continues his excavation :lol: :lol:

I use chicken wire, it's small enough to stop them digging but big enough so they don't get caught in it but they can still eat the grass

I think you need lots of aviary panels Phill. They can be arranged in lots of different ways making really good sized runs, but can be disassembled again if you need to move them. You can either have them upright to walk into or on their sides to make a three foot tall run.
For £1000 you could buy lots of them 8) Local carpenters will sell them from between £10 and £15 for a 6ft by 3ft panel. With small gauge mesh you can have the runs next to eachother without worrying about nose biting.

We are in the process of building a 24ft by 8ft aviary split into 4 separate pens, two 8ft squares and 2 4ft by 8fts. And we are building avairies onto two new sheds. It will all get done one day.....

doorkeeper said:
I think you need lots of aviary panels Phill. They can be arranged in lots of different ways making really good sized runs, but can be disassembled again if you need to move them. You can either have them upright to walk into or on their sides to make a three foot tall run.
For £1000 you could buy lots of them 8) Local carpenters will sell them from between £10 and £15 for a 6ft by 3ft panel. With small gauge mesh you can have the runs next to eachother without worrying about nose biting.

We are in the process of building a 24ft by 8ft aviary split into 4 separate pens, two 8ft squares and 2 4ft by 8fts. And we are building avairies onto two new sheds. It will all get done one day.....

Briliant Idea louise!!!! I assume i could make them big enough to place the hutches inside?? leaving them easy to move and the hutches not attached!! Apsolutly brilliant!! Do you know of any on-line site louise where i could have alook and do some costing?

That seller is fab. I go to their premises in southampton, and their stuff is good quality. Behind the panels on the ground you can see what looks like a tiny wooden house with a door, I have 2 of those and my buns love them! They are always either in them or on the roof!!! x Jess

Back