• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Which insurance?

julieszoo

Warren Scout
I'd very much like some recommendations as to the best pet insurance for buns please. I've only used Exotic Direct (for my parrots) there seems to be quite a bit of choice and I am guessing some are better at paying out then others. Hopefully I will never need to use it.

TIA

Julie

Hi Julie,

I have my bunnies insured with Petplan as they were one of the only companies doing insurance when I had my bunnies a few years ago, now I believe there is more choice.

I have used Exotic Direct when I had a chinchilla and they were very good at paying out.

I have just had a £400 bill for one of my bunnies and Petplan paid out very promptly.

Hope this helps a bit.

Carole

When my bunnies were insured, they used to be with PetPlan. It got however too expensive with 9 bunnies, now I just have a credit card ready for emergencies. :D

Vera

Just had a look at Exotic direct 161.40 for two rabbits but:

At the time that Your insurance started there must, to the best of Your knowledge and belief, have been no contagious or infectious diseases during the last 24 months at the premises where Your pet is kept.

So where would I stand in relation to the suspected Ec - no bloodtest results were returned to me at my new address saying Ec positive - Cosmos' were cancelled and Adele's were negative (Violet's were inconclusive but that was at my old address). But could my vet swear that no "contagious or infectious diseases" have been present at my address "during the last 24 months" if we aren't sure?

They will only pay 50% of the costs of dental treatment minus the excess (50).

Petplan is roughly 85 per rabbit for me, with the same excess (50) - I think you get a 10% discount on the second policy though. They don't cover trimming rabbits teeth or dental problems unless the vet had checked the rabbits teeth within the past 12 months and any treatment recommended then was carried out. However they do also cover a small amount towards emergency bonding and advertising/reward. They don't have a contagious disease exclusion.

Caz

I'm not bothering with insurance for my 3.. When I lost Molly I spent £650 thats with spay & then treatment to try & save her life :( it didn't work & I wouldn't of been covered because she died through being spayed :(
Now with Fudge he has teeth problems & I dont think they cover that either do they ?
I took Fudge to the vets yesterday as he has an infection from where he was neauted last Wednesday, it cost me £30 for him to be seen & antibiotics yesterday so I wouldn't of been able to claim for him either because the excess is £40...I must admit I was quite suprised that I was charged anything with it being from his neater ..
I'm going to start putting away so much per month towards vets fees...

karen354 said:
I'm not bothering with insurance for my 3.. When I lost Molly I spent £650 thats with spay & then treatment to try & save her life :( it didn't work & I wouldn't of been covered because she died through being spayed :(

I seem to remember that most policy documents are worded so that they don't cover the actual spay/neuter but will cover complications arising thereof (at least that is what my dogs' documents say).

Vet2pets quoted £84 for one rabbit and if I add a second it would be around £77 (excess £40 or 15% of bill, whichever is higher). But they don't start illness (and poisoning :shock: :? ) cover until a month has passed (28 days) not the usual 2 weeks the other policies do. They will cover dental work provided the rabbit has been insured with them for two years showing no symptoms :roll: . They don't cover spaying in the event of uterine cancer - which I would consider emergency treatment :? ! They do cover euthenasia though which the others didn't (I think). They don't cover if one rabbit has injured another - so no bonding injuries would be covered. In fact I could hardly find any illness my rabbits have had that they do cover! It may be cheaper but not the best value for money - to be fair as much as I hate Petplan they are looking to be the better option (they certainly aren't for dogs).

Caz

Puku is insured with Petplan and I can honestly say that last summer when she required emergency treatment they paid out promptly. I currently pay £8.90 per month via direct debit. Hope this helps... :idea:

Just insured two of mine with Pet Protect, £8.50 a month each, and they say they cover dental problems.

Back