• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"Operation Nightingale" (Rabbit Rescue)

Bindi

Warren Scout
I don't know if this is the right place, but hey...)

Two years ago, I was working on a school farm as a volunteer, caring for the rabbits (recreational not production) until one of them caught Pasteurella (infectious rabbit disease). Before I knew what had hit me, all but two of my charges had it. There were seven of them altogether (if I remember rightly)and two were put to sleep for their illness. That left five. I finished at that school and as I had been their sole carer for a year, I felt the need to make sure my successor was caring for them. I got labelled a pest. The farm only has money in mind and soon I was pretty much told to go away. At last, they told me that all the rabbits were dead. Then, I did the thing that I regret the most in my life- I walked away.

Nearly two years on, I still wonder whether they were truly euthanased for their illness or whether I was lied to to get rid of me. I plan on returning to the farm under the pretence of buying some flowers from their horticulture section but perhaps returning with a P+ rabbit. I will care for him or her, make sure he/she is in a good condition, then rehome him/her to an owner who will love and care for him/her. I don't know who would take a Pasteurella rabbit, but I can hope.

I would call the RSPCA but the farm would know it was me and the RSPCA would kill them all if they got their hands on them. This way, I can save them if they are still alive. Not all of them perhaps, but some... One at a time, I will buy them, nurse them and give them to someone who will love them. In my dreams I still see them looking at me, accusingly. I love them so dearly.

And so, to Operation Nightingale (after Florence Nightingale :wink: There is method in my madness). That's it. It is on for the 17th and we'll have to see if they are still there... Part of me doesn't want to know but the other part has to know. I have to try. I failed them and now I have the opportunity to save one at a time.

And if they have passed on... I love you and Goddess watch over your souls. May I be forgiven.

operation nightinggal (rabbit rescue)

hI BINDI :( I used to rescue pasteurella postive bunnies :) I started taking them in when i was given (from a breeder) a large number of them as no one else would touch them and the owner was considering having them PTS :( I had wonderful support from my vet (who thought that i was mad to offer them a home) but i found that once they were away from their former home their condition improved and i still have some of them :) only one :( my little smudgykins who had pneumonia when i got him suffers from occassional bouts of sneezing which require vet treatment :( so YES these rabbits could have had a normal life but you was not to know that and did what you thought was for the best :)

Back