• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help buns to gain weight

Porridge oats mixed with cooled boiled water...also although i don't usually recommend it..a rabbit mix type food in with the bunnies normal pellets ...but a known brand such as Dodson and Horrel's Rabbit Royale..the oats and flaked peas in the mixes help to put on weight..we use them for underweight or poorly bunnies....

but make sure once bun had reached a good size you wean them back onto pellets, hay and veg only :D

the other thing to add is make sure the bunnies lack of weight isn't due to any underlying problems..such as worms..may be worth trying the new Rabbit Panacur course for the bunny too..it's not too expensive( about £5-£6) and will clear the bun of worms if present. :D

Has a vet weighed your bunny? the other thing to remember is the majority of pet rabbits are overweight so make sure your pet is actually in need of gain :D

keep us posted

Thank you:)
It is actually regarding the one bunny who is mine, Sir Lancelot, I adopted him about a year ago when I started fostering, I picked him, his brother and mum up from a scabby house in horrible conditions, and I fell in love with him!
He's always been skinny and has been wormed, he just has such a promnent back bone that it worries me. He's due to be booked in for his eye (to flush his tear ducts out, it's ickky!) so am going to ask about his weight. Just wondered if I could be feeding him something more nutritious to compensate for his skinny butt !

Could be due to lack of exercise. Bunnie slose muscle tone from their spine area quickly of kept cooped up..and you say he came from bad conditions.. lack of space and poor diet could have given him his skinny back

Back