• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent Help needed - Bunny poorly - stopped eating

Binny

New Kit
Hi

We're in urgent need of help...

I have a six year old house bunny (Humphrey) who has been on Baytril and Fibreplex for the past week but took a turn for the worse yesterday as he stopped eating and drinking. Hes been at the vets all night and today on a drip for fluids, but they has sent him home now, althought he is still not eating.

We are very worried about him, hes just say in a huddle with his eyes closed.

We are trying to feed him by suringe Science recovery, but I dont know how much I should give him or how regularly. Does any one have any ideas.

He was on the Baytil because he had stopped using his litter tray, and the vet thought it may be a good precausion just incase there was a UTI. However, after a few days on it he ok but not as active as he usually is.

Any help or advise you all can offer, please get in touch.

Many thanks

Binny, And & Humphrey

Hi there, welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear your bun is poorly.

Did the vet say what other treatment Humphrey has had, as well as the drip?

And why he has been sent home when he is obviously no better?

To be perfectly honest I would get a second opinion from another vet. Whereabouts are you? Maybe someone could recommend a vet to you.

When you say he had stopped using the litter tray, do you mean he was weeing and pooping elsewhere, or had he stopped weeing and pooping all together?

Thanks for the reply, the vet has given him elecrtolites/glucose drip, I cant remember what it was called other than it started with a 'h' .

We have been with this practice for a long time and has excellent treatment but not seen with this particular 'on call' vet before.

He has stopped using the tray, he was weeing and pooing in his room so I was told this wasnt incontinance because he wasnt dribling all of the time.
When he came out of his room he went back to it for a wee but didnt use the tray. Hope this helps.

Hello

I think Humphrey needs to be back at the Vets NOW

Has he poo'd at all since he has been home? What about his weeing?
Has your Vet ruled out these possibilities

1-Dental problems

2-Bladder Stones (can present as loss of litter training)

3-Abdominal obstruction

I am so sorry Humphrey is poorly but I really think it is essential he is examined by a Vet again tonight. Preferably one who is compitent with treating rabbits.

There really are a multitude of possibilities as to what could be wrong but the most important thing now is to get Humphrey back to a Vet

Please keep us posted

Janex

PS The Drip would be a HARTMANNS SOLUTION

The crazy thing is, last Friday he had a bunny mot and was checked out ok. He previously has a blood test and was found that there was some trace of Ecuniculi and higher protein in his kidney. He was treated with panacur and we have been extra careful with his diet.

His teeth are perfect and has been weeing regularly. This afternoon he has had a nibble on some apple. We have given him in a syringe 10ml of science recovery and the vet recommended to try him on some apple baby food which we have given him 10ml of as well.

Binny said:
The crazy thing is, last Friday he had a bunny mot and was checked out ok. He previously has a blood test and was found that there was some trace of Ecuniculi and higher protein in his kidney. He was treated with panacur and we have been extra careful with his diet.

His teeth are perfect and has been weeing regularly. This afternoon he has had a nibble on some apple. We have given him in a syringe 10ml of science recovery and the vet recommended to try him on some apple baby food which we have given him 10ml of as well.

If he is not eating then that indicates he has pain and reduced gut motility. Both these conditions need prescription medication BY INJECTION. Metoclopromide to try to get his guts moving and a pain killer like Metacam or Vetergesic. If your Vet has diagnosed Renal problems then it may be the condition has worsened. As I am NOT a Vet I can only give lay-person advice which is that Humphrey needs more treatment ASAP

Janex

Back