• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Age gap between rabbits

Kezza30

Warren Veteran
I was thinking of adopting a baby rabbit, when it's old enough to leave it's mother. I would be getting her spayed when she's old enough but that would be another 6 months from now. My buck Buttons id near enouh 2 years old now and was wondering if introducing a baby in the future would they still bond as normal or not being a year and 1/2 gap between them or does it not matter with rabbits :?

I dont think it really matters that much as long as both are neutered/spayed so that hormones dont interfere. Maybe contact your local rescue as they may have a young rabbit already neutered/spayed that you could try.
My simba and nala are about the same age.. around 4yrs old however Fifi who i bonded with them last year is nearly 1yrs old so a big age gap and they adore each other.

Thanks. I'm having a problem finding a rabbit it's own age who is spayed near me, so i have been asked if i can adopt a baby instead, which gives me atleast 5 months to get money for her spaying and Buttons needs doing aswell :D

It dosnt matter at all. I recently bonded a 4/5 year old male with a 6 month old female and they are totally devoted to eachother. :D

There are a few lovely ladies in Tyne &Wear on RR.. dunno if you have already seen them but here they are :wink: already spayed :wink:
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=7197
Actually the others on there are reserved so this is the only female listed in that area still available.. you never know though the lady with them all may have others not listed on RR yet :wink: Good luck in your search :wink:

I got an email abck who has said she ws hoping i would take the mother and kits together, i first have to clear it with my parents and hopefully i can rehome the others aswell. I'm going to pay £10 for mother and 3 kits.

Moosie was five years old, and lost her husbun of the same age :( We bonded her with Charlie, who was just eight months old at the time :D They get on fabulously :D

I didn't really think about age too much, as Moosie was three when we first adopted her - Charlie is quite a big boy and wanted lots of space, which we had - and he had mental ears which was very appealing :lol:

I would say it doesn't matter. In my very limited experience of bonding, I bonded Weedie and Bundle when he was around 4 months and she was nearly 3 years. Apart from the usual chasing and nipping (he chased her - it was quite funny to see such a tiny little scrap chasing a big bunster around!) there were no probs and they soon settled down. :D Both are neutered btw.

Thanks for the help. Both of mine will be gettng neuterd aswell before bonding and the baby won't be going out till the beggining of summer. Has anyone bonded a neuterd male with an un-neuterd female before. :?

Plenty of times and i still have one such pair. I didnt find it made any difference to the bonding at all. :D

Thanks sooz. So do you think i could add my baby bun to a neauterd male in the summer and not likely to have problems. I will still be planning on getting the baby spayed for the health reasons but thinking i could try bond them temporaly and then she'll have Buttons there while shes healing.

Back