• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks

Kim_w

Mama Doe
Last year I noticed that Rupert had pink patches on his hocks so I took him to the vets and the vet said that they were fine and it is just hard skin and it happens because they walk like us from heel to toe. When I had him castrated in November I asked again and they said they were fine but last night when he has leaning forward his heels really stood out and look red so next week I am gong to take him back to a different vets because I am not confident that his heels are ok!!!!
They dont seem to bother him and they only way I can think it happens is because he leaps from the carpet onto my bed a lot and maybe that rubs him. He is a house rabbit and has 24hour run off my bedroom and he has a puppy crate which is his base, I clean his litter try out everyday so he isnt stood in dirty bedding.
Im going to see what the new vet says but I am a bit reluctant to change vets because I have been with my them for over 10 years and they have a vet and nurses there throughbthe night but I suppose I want whats best for my bunnies.
What would you do? :shock: :shock:

Thanks jane, is that cream from the vets?
What would you do about changing vets? Im going to see what they say first but im sure his hocks are not right. I will be so annoyed if my regular vet was wrong, im strict with taking my pets to the vets and will be really upset if the new vet says his hock are really bad and should have had treatment already. You put all your trust in your vet after all they should know best. I hope its just me panicking but i dont think so. :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry: :shock:

Kim_w said:
Thanks jane, is that cream from the vets?
What would you do about changing vets? Im going to see what they say first but im sure his hocks are not right. I will be so annoyed if my regular vet was wrong, im strict with taking my pets to the vets and will be really upset if the new vet says his hock are really bad and should have had treatment already. You put all your trust in your vet after all they should know best. I hope its just me panicking but i dont think so. :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry: :shock:

Flamazine is a prescription only preparation used to treat burns in humans.
Good luck with the Vet

Janex

Floss had quite bad hocks as well and My vet also prescribed Flamazine cream. It is, as Jane said, used on burns patients and it may even be available over the counter. I'll post up some before and after picks of Floss's hocks. Carpet can be quite tough on some rabbits' hocks, especially if they are Rexes. Is there anyway she can get on some time on grass as well? Here's the pictures:

BEFORE
DSC01272.jpg

AFTER 2 months
[/img]
DSC01465.jpg

AFTER4 months

DSC01672.jpg
[/img]

Can you get Bag Balm in the UK? This is a great over-the-counter treatment for mild sore hocks. It's helping my foster bun a lot. He came to me with super-thick callouses on his hocks because he's a big bunny and had nothing to do but sit in a small cage for several months.

Also, what do you have on the floor of your cage? If it's bare, maybe he'd like a soft grass mat, vet bed, or a pile of thick corrugated cardboard to lay on? It might help take some of the pressure off his heels when he's sitting around.

Oh, and rabbits do not hop from hock to toe. The hock isn't the heel, its the knee. Also, make sure you keep his nails clipped as short as possible, because long nails will make him shift his weight back and put more pressure on his hocks.

Here's a great new article I found the other day:
http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo15.html

I ought to have said that apart from the cream, I put vet bed on the hutch floor, and kept her out on grass as long as possible every day.(she's an outdoor bun during the summer / autumn months). The bottom level of her hutch is on the patio so I think a bit of time on the stone may also have help to toughen things up a bit. The vet also advised metacam once a day as one of her hocks was quite inflammed and irritated her, and she kept biting at it which hadn't helped!!

He has fluffy bath mats down in his cage at the moment and I have ordered them a thicker dog bed/mat.
His nails do need clipping and teeth checking (thats another reason I am taking him to the vets!)
I am going to work in a min but hopefully should beable to post some pics tommorow.
I cant believe the vet told me that they walk heel to toe, I could have taken him to another vet last year but becauae he is a vet I trusted him.
Thanks for you advise- My pics will be posted late afternoon/early evening. ( its my grans funeral tommorow :cry: )

I do have a run in the garden but it is small and he hates it. I could shut them in there crate during the night so he is on the carpet less.

If he hates to be shut in the small run, then don't do it as you don't want him stressed. What breed is he? Sorry to hear you are going to have a sad day tomorrow. Healing vibes all round...

He is a lop but im not sure what breed he is as I got him from pah :( I hardly ever put him in the run anymore because he has the run of my bedroom ( saying that I put them in it for 30mins today for some fresh air!!). I cant let him run free in my garden because it isnt rabbit proof and our garden backs onto a busy road so I would be too scared to let him out incase he escaped.
I am going to book the vets tommoroe hopefully for tue afternoon or wed.
Thankyou all for your advise I feel so cruel I should have gone with my gut instinct from the beggining.

Do his feet look like the pictures capel posted? It's normal for rabbits to have a small bald patch right on their heel. It's usually about pea sized. Usually it's covered by a 'comb over' of fur but it's more obvious in some bunnies than others.

Tam

The red patches are only on the ball of his heel not the underneath of his foot aswell. They arent covered by fur and when he leans forward or lies down they really stand out.

Ive taken Rupert to the vets his teeth are fine, he had a few of his nails clipped and the vet said if his hocks dont bother him and they dont bleed or weep then they are ok.
When he tipped him up to look at his hocks I sae that the pink patch goes a little under his foot.
I feel relieved that he is ok x x x :D

Kim_w said:
Ive taken Rupert to the vets his teeth are fine, he had a few of his nails clipped and the vet said if his hocks dont bother him and they dont bleed or weep then they are ok.
When he tipped him up to look at his hocks I sae that the pink patch goes a little under his foot.
I feel relieved that he is ok x x x :D

Glad Rupert got on OK at the Vets :D

Janex

this is an interesting thread as i've noticed mady has little sore hocks as well. they are tiny like round patches. is there anything i should do or should i just leave. she doesn't seem that bothered by them and was waiting till she next needs the vet to mention them

I think Ruperts look really sore and are quite big ( they are obvious when he leans forward or lies down with his back legs stretched out) but the vet said they are fine so I reckon that as long as they are madys heels arent bleeding or weeping then they should be ok butsayinf that the only experience of them I have is with Ruperts so if you are worried I would take her to the vets to be checked out to be on the safe side.
I will try and post some piccys of Ruperts heels later.
x x x

Thanks Jane :D

Back