• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur missing( itchy skin)

karen354

Warren Veteran
I noticed Fudge had a little bit of fur missing on Thursday. I looked closely & I could see what looked like a little red rash :( ... Fudge was neauted on Wednesday & had his Mxyi injection around 10 days ago..
I looked again today and a little bit of fur is missing off his back.. Fudge doesn't stay still long enough to really check him out.. Any ideas what it could be ? He has his vet check on Wednesday so I'll get them to have a look at him then.

Its probably from his injection but if it continues or spreads it may be worth having him checked for mites.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its probably from his injection but if it continues or spreads it may be worth having him checked for mites

Oh no thats all I need !!! Where do they get mites from the hay ?

other animals and clothing/bedding that has been incontact with them. Unfortunatly if he has got them then he either got them from another pet or could pass them onto another pet.....its more likely to be his injection though if its just been done. :)

I hope it's just a reaction to the injection.. He hasn't been in contact with any other animals since being with me :(
Did you read about his teeth ? :(

yeah. We had Frankie checked and he was Ok. He is at BARC rescue now waiting to be paired up. i only have one foster in at the moment, seems very empty :?

yeah. We had Frankie checked and he was Ok. He is at BARC rescue now waiting to be paired up. i only have one foster in at the moment, seems very empty

I'm sure it won't be long until you are full up again :lol:
I felt that I couldn't rehome Fudge with him needing treatment for his teeth :( I am fond of him aswell though he's a lovely soft boy..
Hes got a beautiful girlfriend aswell not bonded yet but will do that in about 10 days, must admit I've never bonded before so a little nervous..

Willow had mites not so long ago. It was a red bald patch about the size of a 50p and there were white flakes in his fur. It was easily treated. I don't know where he got it from, i read that stress can bring it on or from the hay or other animals. He's a single house bun. His fur has nearly all grown back now. :D

Willow had mites not so long ago. It was a red bald patch about the size of a 50p and there were white flakes in his fur. It was easily treated. I don't know where he got it from, i read that stress can bring it on or from the hay or other animals. He's a single house bun. His fur has nearly all grown back now.

That sounds very much what Fudge has :? He has been stressed lately with 2 vets checks :( .. I'll get them to check him out on Wednesday.

allergic skin reaction to jabs is something to be very careful with..however this does sound like mites..sometimes you see nothing just a little hair loss and eventually you may see the odd and i mean odd flake of what looks like dry skin flakes..um thats the mites doing that!
Whenever a rabbit is under great stress or their immune systems down or theyre ill..BINGO! MITES! a 100% fit bunny very very rarely gets them but any bun going downhill or poorly always gets them..
our old vet said all buns have one or tow and they dont thrive until the bungets sick etc..i reckon shes right noting the patterns with my buns over the years.
thankfully theres ivermectin! :wink:

When harkley arrived he was covered in mites with loads f bald spots and flakes (looks like dandruff). he had two shots at the vets as it was so severe and we were warned that they may reoccur after his neuter due to stress and a lower imune system. They didnt though :D

I'm bumping this for Hilda, she couldn't find the post :D
There is little bits of dandruff aswell I've noticed so I'm sure it's mites :(
What treatment will the vet give him ? Oh I hope it's not going to be expensive :(

Thankd Karen! I found the post late last night..I hadn't been scrolling down far enough :oops: . At least you can get him sorted when he has his check this week. If there's a chance that Furby can get it through 2 layers of seperating mesh(?!!) then I'll pay for her treatment!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thankd Karen! I found the post late last night..I hadn't been scrolling down far enough . At least you can get him sorted when he has his check this week. If there's a chance that Furby can get it through 2 layers of seperating mesh(?!!) then I'll pay for her treatment!!

I don't think she'll be able to catch it, their fur are not touching at all...
Its really worried me wherehe got them from :( :( hes not around other other animals so all I can think of is the hay I bought from the farm shop :(
must admit the last bag i bought seemed very dusty...
If it it mites I don't even know how long hes had them :( he doesn't stay still for me to check him out.

One of my buns, Boots, has an occasional flare up when he has a heavy moult (he is a long haired German Lop). He has just been treated with a spot on from my vet, alough my previous vet used Ivomec jabs. Uusal places to see them are on the back of the neck/shoulders and at the base of the tail.

They are easily treated - incidentally he has lived with his girlfriend Mia for the last four years and she has never had them.

Sarah

Shots are about 5 to 8 pound a course and can be up to three courses in severe cases (He shouldnt need more than 2 by the sound of it). Be careful not to spread it to Bertie Karen!

The vet doesn't think its mites he said Fudge was given an injection when he had his operation on Wednesday, looks like he had an reaction to the jab.. I only noticed it Thursday so he was pretty sure it wasn't mites...

Back