• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit leads

Fayeloicia

Warren Scout
Going with my gut instinct, I don't think it's a good idea putting rabbits on a lead. However, when it comes to better weather, I would like to try Joey on a lead, and attach it to a fixed place in the garden so it seems like he has more freedom in the garden (ie no walls from a run, also the garden is too hazardous for him to be a free-range bunny).

I've just put him on the lead, and he absolutely hates it!! He keeps trying to run away from it, then he'll try to get out of it.

I can't help feeling sorry for him, so I'm going to take him out of it, but can anyone advise if it's worth perservering with this?

I think I may be happier seeing him binky in his run in the summer, not turn those big melting eyes on me like he is doing now!!

UPDATE - Just to say, I haven't got it on tightly at all, it's on as loose as it can be without it coming apart!

My Crunchie didn't like it the first couple of times I tried her with it but now she understands that if she wears it, she can run around the entire garden.
She loves it, we have an enormous garden but only a 10x10ft run, she likes the extra freedom plus it's great fun trying to keep up with her and trying to take photos whilst you're being dragged around :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some people strongly disagree with them though and I can see why but I think as long as they are used safely and responsibly then they are a good idea :)

You shouldn't tie a lead to a fixed point in the garden. If a rabbit gets to the limit and feels the pull they can panic and run in the wrong direction, causing themselves injury. You'll have to hold the lead and follow your bunny around the garden.

AMETHYST

Yes, I agree. Don't put a lead on a rabbit and tie one end to something. It would be easy for the rabbit to become injured and I think it would be distressing for them anyway. Even under close supervision rabbits can harm themsleves when wearing leads. A big , secure run in the garden is much better in my opinion :D

Under no circs tie it to sumthing, use it if u like but go eith him and hold it. I left harly on his for less than a minute last summer & he managed to get it all noted around him & between his toes & was in a right state, he squealed, never heard anything like it in my life. Also ur bunny wud b a sitting target for birds of prey and foxes, should not be left out & unsupervised ever

I had Buttons on a lead while cleaning his cage before he had a run. He didn't mind, abit of a struggle to get on but once he was on the grass he forgot about it and went on his merry way dragging my brother around the garden. I had it on slack so i could put my fingers in so it wasn't to tight but tight enough.

Hey!

My personal opinion is that you should persevere with the lead because they do get used to it and love it in the end.

Just don't ever expect that you'll be in control like you would with a dog cos Joey will pull you wherever he wants to go! :lol:

I remember trying to have a conversation with my neighbour over the fence whilst Lucy was dragging me around the garden. Puppy, however, sees it as an opportunity to find a nice spot to lay down and I have to stand there until she decides to get up! (Don't know what's worse :lol: )

Good Luck with whatever you decide xxx

havent tried teegs on the lead yet but getting duchey used to one, she will tolerate it as long as she is getting dried fruit ;) :lol: i am planning on teaching her to jump hurdles etc (like agility) as she is very food motivated, intelligent and active, teegs on the other hand prefers to lay and watch maybe wanderng over to steal some food then right back to his comfy spot :lol:

Back