• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bloat?

becks

Alpha Buck
i read a post on another site about an owner who lost their rabbit due to cloat, after it got stressed travelling home, tehy had only had teh rabbit a few days when it passed away.

i'm collecting domino on monday, and it's got me panicking abit.

i don't really knwo mcuh about bloat i must confess, so forgive my niavity.

well i'm collecting domino from barnsley, and taking him in teh car to lincoln (aprox an horu away). is tehi likely to effect him? and what can i do to reduc ethe risks?

our vet had sugfgested when we collect domino taking sam wth us, as we had asked teh practice fro tips on bonding. she suggested that whilst nick sits in teh car, i sit in teh back,a nd have a rabbit eitehr sid eof me, just on teh back seat (with a cover to protect teh seat from tiddles). but nwo i'm worrying will thsi stress sam out,a nd cause bloat fro her?

i'm a born worrier when it coem sto my animals i guess, so any advice much appreciated.

Hey, I've never had a problem with a bun in a car so I'm sure Domino will be absolutely fine :D If you are planning on bonding Sam and Domino it is a good idea to take Sam to collect Domino and if I was you I'd take a carrier full of hay and put them in that together and bring them home in the one carrier. Rabbits really dont like cars, the likelyhood of them fighting in the carrier is practically zero but you can keep and eye on them. They'll huddle together for support and comfort and this is thought to encourage the bonding process. They should be fine in the carrier but don't assume there will be no scuffing when they get out, make sure you put them somewhere completely neutral when you get home so they can get to know each other with their feet on the ground. Good luck! :D

Out of my own 15 buns, I only have one that gets stressed travelling. - Flint, He doesn't usually eat after a vet trip, but mashed banana & grated carrot & he's back :D

Back