• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clicker Training...just for dogs???

Wow! :shock: They really look like they're having fun! I might get that book and try it with Benny, as he's really outgoing and VERY food-motivated! :D

AMETHYST

i have done a bit of clicker training with duchess and she now stands up on her back legs if you say beg :love: also used to clicker train the rats :lol:

Yeah lots of animals can be clicker trained! It's really fun to do and is a really good way to train :D I've done a bit with Princess and I've clicker trained a rabbit at work and done it with dogs and cats.

Have fun!

Nicola

How gorgoes was that big white bunny! And the little one in with the Angora trying to get in on the act when the fluff ball was having his go :lol:

I started with Adele after we lost Cosmos - she will follow a target stick, jump on boxes, get on my lap and stand on her hind legs - just don't tell her the target stick is a kitchen roll inner :oops: :lol: !

Her pellets and little pieces of dried apple (from chinchillas2home) are excellent rewards.

The only issue is the dogs can hear the clicker downstairs and start howling and scrabbling at the door for their turn!

Caz

I have ordered a clicker and a target stick, will be starting clicker training with Benny as soon as they arrive! :D

AMETHYST

Don't forget to prime the clicker first - just click then treat a few seconds after (don't click as you feed) a few times until your rabbit gets used to the noise and starts to associate it with food - this will be obvious as when they are looking the other way and you click they will immediately look at you waiting for their food - I did a couple of short 5 min sessions every day until I was sure Adele got it.

Once they know the click means food they then start trying to work out how to make you click so put the target stick in front of them and inevitably they will go over to sniff it - as their nose touches it, click and reward. Eventually as you put the stick near them they will run over to touch it to get some food - then you can use the stick to get them to follow it onto boxes, over jumps and through tunnels.

Always remember if you click you must treat - eventually you may phase out the clicker and just reward every so often as the training becomes second-nature. Timeing is cruicial, if you click at the wrong time they won't learn.

Caz

I use a 'clicker' (bought from my local pet shop) to signal 'return to hutch/run' at the end of the day.

It really works providing a clear signal that it is time to 'come home' and a treat will be waiting!

Oh thats fab!!! I might try this with Fia to get her to trust me a bit more and have some fun :D Need to buy a PWS run for the garden first and can't afford that til next month. Thank goodness the weater is getting better now :)

Back