• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Been to Vets - Few Questions!!!!!

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Took Twinkle to vets for routine vaccination and the vet noticed she is a bit "stained" around her bottom. She has had tummy problems since I got her but it has improved since I reduced her pellets and changed to SS. She eats lots of hay and veg too.

Questions are -

1. I have bathed Twinkle tonight but cannot get rid of the staining - will this go if I keep bathing her?

2. She is now rather wet and wont let me dry her - will keep her indoors as long as I can tonight but she will have to go back to her hutch later. Will this be ok if she is a bit damp? Tried towels and hairdryer on low but she is too scared so now she is sitting under the radiator.

3. Vet mentioned flystrike if she continues to have messy bottom. Cant remember what the vet said regarding treatments. Rearguard or something?

4. Talked to vet re: spaying. You may remember I was asking lots of questions as I am too scared to get her done. Vet reassured me to say she couldnt remember the last female she lost, does internal stitches, gives loads of drugs after ie gut stimulant, painkiller, AB if needed etc. All seems ok but still thinking about it.

Any suggestions please!!

Hi Donna

I really would NOT put Twinkle out tonight if she is still wet and has been sitting under the warmth of a radiator. Bunnies can cope with the cold but not with extreme variations in temperature and if they are wet they are at risk of hypothermia. Regular grooming (daily) as opposed to washing is probably better to remove the stained fur (as long as the actual skin is clean)

It sounds as though your Vet is clued up on Bunny Spays :thumb:

Janex

No dont put her back outside until she is completely dry :D

I wouldnt use a hairdryer either, it might burn a buns skin just use a towel.

How are you bathing her? just wiping with a baby wipe is how I clean my white fluffy bunnys bum.

I would get her spayed. It has health benefits. I know its scary, Im getting my two girls done soon and I cant stop worrying :D

Hi. I don't think it's a good idea to put her outside if she's still damp. Is there no way she could be kept in until tomorrow? Even in the bathroom..all you'd need would be her litter tray if she has one, and a cardboard box with her bedding. I use Rearguard but vigilance is still the first line of defence.Gosh senior moment..can't remember your other queries!! brb :oops:

I can understand your concerns re spaying in the light of recent posts, but remember these posts have been about bad experiences..there are just as many good outcomes! Furby sailed through her op last week and had her check up this morning. All's well and I have a bun who definitely won't be fighting uterine cancer a few years down the road.

Questions are -

1. I have bathed Twinkle tonight but cannot get rid of the staining - will this go if I keep bathing her?

I would stop bathing her, as long as she is clean the staining will eventually go as her fur is replaced. Only if she is dirty you need to wash her. If she is a white bun, sometimes cornflour rubbed into the afected fur like a dry shampoo helps (do NOT get this wet).

2. She is now rather wet and wont let me dry her - will keep her indoors as long as I can tonight but she will have to go back to her hutch later. Will this be ok if she is a bit damp? Tried towels and hairdryer on low but she is too scared so now she is sitting under the radiator.
Please try and not put your bun outside tonight with a wet bum and after spending time sitting under the radiator. Buns do not like a sudden change in temperature, it is not goood for them.

3. Vet mentioned flystrike if she continues to have messy bottom. Cant remember what the vet said regarding treatments. Rearguard or something?

Flystrike is only a problem if your bun has a dirty bottom, reducing the pellets will often help, some pellets are known to cause problems with some buns on the odd occassion. If you bun is overweight it is a good idea to bring her weight down so that she can reach her bottom, some tubby buns cannot manage to keep themselves clean. Readrguard is only necessary if you have a dirty bottomed bun, some people do routinely use it, however I am a believer of keeping chemicals down to a minimum (my opinion)

4. Talked to vet re: spaying. You may remember I was asking lots of questions as I am too scared to get her done. Vet reassured me to say she couldnt remember the last female she lost, does internal stitches, gives loads of drugs after ie gut stimulant, painkiller, AB if needed etc. All seems ok but still thinking about it.

Sounds like your vet is pretty knowedgeable and up to date.

Thanks everyone. I tried special animal wipes but they did nothing. I just put a few inches of warm water in the bathroom sink and let her sit in it. Added a bit of rabbit shampoo. A bit of staining came out but her fur is all white underneath and the staining looks awful.

I did not cover her completely in water - the only bits of her that got wet are her bottom and her paws.

I cant see how grooming her can get the stained fur clean???? Can anyone explain???

fluffiebunnie said:
Thanks everyone. I tried special animal wipes but they did nothing. I just put a few inches of warm water in the bathroom sink and let her sit in it. Added a bit of rabbit shampoo. A bit of staining came out but her fur is all white underneath and the staining looks awful.

I did not cover her completely in water - the only bits of her that got wet are her bottom and her paws.

I cant see how grooming her can get the stained fur clean???? Can anyone explain???

The stained fur will 'die off' and come out with daily grooming :D

Janex

Both my bunnies are laying in my living room under the radiator together. Twinkle is still quite wet so will rearrange the bathroom as it will be safe from the cats and has a tile floor so easy to clean. I have a carrier that I will put in there with hay so they can snuggle in there for the night.

Thanks everyone for your help - I was stupid to wash her really but was wanting her clean.

Be Very careful!!!! That's how my buns launched their "we NEEDto be housebuns" campaign.... :)

fluffiebunnie said:

Rabbits moults, as the seasons change, so does their coat. They will groom out the old fur and leave the new fur.

capel said:
Be Very careful!!!! That's how my buns launched their "we NEEDto be housebuns" campaign.... :)

They cannot be house buns I have two cats who I dont trust and me and my daughter are very allergic to bunnies!!! Can cope with the allergy when they are outside but we are both now all bunged up and sneezing cos they have been in for the night!!!

JUST SO EVERYONE DOESNT WORRY - BUNNIES ARE NOW IN THE DOWNSTAIRS BATHROOM WITH CARRIER FOR COZY AREA, LITTER TRAY, WATER AND HAY AND SOME TOYS!!

WILL PUT THEM OUTSIDE IN THE MORNING AS IT WONT BE SO COLD AND TWINKLE WILL BE DRIED OUT LOL!!

Back