• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Removing incisors

thehappypixi

Warren Scout
I have foster bunny here who came in with horendously overgrown multi-directional teeth. I cut the myself very carefully as I know the risks but after talking to the vet nurses they suggested total removal. Has anyone had thei done (to their bun of course!). How do they cope? I can't rehome her really as is so will have to do something or she'll be a lifer :( I've been on to my boss and she wonders the same things. The rescue will foot the bill but am also wondering how much it's likely to be?
Thanks!

jrn1310 said:
I hope this helps you, they are excellent to have as house rabbits :wink:

Lol! I never thought of that! I'll threaten my Humpy with that next time he eyes up the carpet :/

Thanks for the links, very interesting :D

thehappypixi said:
jrn1310 said:
I hope this helps you, they are excellent to have as house rabbits :wink:

Lol! I never thought of that! I'll threaten my Humpy with that next time he eyes up the carpet :/

Almost all our toothless bunnies are rehomed as house rabbits, every now and again we get requests from people who are looking for a toothless bun to live as a house rabbit. What makes them quite desireable is their disinterest in cables, wallpaper, furniture, skirting boards, carpets etc . I know a few people on here who would appreciate a bun like that :D

My Duchess is a gummy bunny :lol:

She had her incisors removed because they were growing out horizontally :shock: . She was given pain relief before she came home and put Bonjela onto her gums where they had been for about a week.

The big risks are
1) that they will stop eating. Duchess kept eating but only pooed every 4 days which was a bit worrying - we think that was more to do with her just having come out of a horrific situation than the op though. Keep an eye on them, offer them hard and softened pellets so they can choose (Duchess hated the soft ones). They can still eat the hard ones because they don't need to bite them but just grind them with their back teeth - it may hurt them picking them up. Invest in some Science Recovery in case you need to syringe feed.
2) That the teeth will grow back. The peg teeth generally seem to come back but break off naturally because they are quite fragile - they don't cause any problems. However unfortunately Duchess's bottom incisors have come back - we think this is because they were hard to get out as she has molar root problems and they were all a bit tangled up together. From what I have heard it is not usual for them to grow back so you may well be ok.

Duchess can eat hard pellets, the only difference is that we chop up the veggies so they are small enough to fit in her mouth. She has no problems picking food up. She lives with toothy bunnies and we chop everything up, it has no detrimental effect to them.

I think it is worth the risks because it's a few days of discomfort as opposed to regular tooth burring.

thehappypixi said:

I know you are joking but sadly I have heard of people who have it done to healthy buns just because they chew :cry:

Awww, thats a bit much:( I've heard some people remove ferrets teeth too with problem biters :? People are odd sometimes.
But this sounds like apositive move for ~Peppermint. She really hates me even checking her teeth and I have to cut up all her veg coz she can't break it up. I see her flinging lettuce leaves about. Her eyes were dreadful when she first came in, obviously her lower incisors were putting pressure on her eyes:( I'm going to speak to my superior/money peron at the weekend I hope and get her booked in. My mums gonna get all soft and start cooking her soft food:)

p.s. Bongela? Really?!!

Hi, hope that this helps. My friend adopted a rabbit with major problems with his incisors. One was groing towards his head and the other one was growing into the neck but was only visible when the vet x-rayed her. Both teeth were successfully removed and the rabbit is back to he old self. My friend says that they have to cut vegetables to a vey small size so that she doe not have to break the vegetables up. It cost £170 for this operation.

Back