• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Damn cat stalking Buttons

Kezza30

Warren Veteran
:shock: I was just reading on the forum and decided to go look out the back window and see what Buttons was doing and there was a cat stalking the side of my hutch with Buttons watching it's every move. Luckily for him it's a tough hutch/run combo with good mesh wire (the strong stuff) but i immediantly ran out the back and chased it off and gave my Buttons lots of cuddles. I'll be looking out for foxes to, we have this friendly little fox who visits our street from time to time but Buttons will need to be kept safe from him. I had the shock of my life seeing that cat there :shock:

The cats from next door sit at my hutches and just watch the buns :shock: And its scary! They are scary cats they growl at the bunnies and if I try chasing them away they jump at me and growl even more :shock:

I'm always nervous of cats scaring my Fudge..
We only have one cat that lives 3 houses away & he never noticed our bun thankfully..

As long as then pen is safe enough that the cat can't get in the bunnies should get used to having them around. We have two cats each side and one of our own (though she doesn't venture out much now). They like the top of the hutches as they get warm. The rabbits pretty much ignore them now.

Tam

Yeah it's a pretty safe hutch, it's got the square type mesh not chicken wire as i read thats not very good anyway. I've never seen any cats in the street before except the house cat around the corner, so thinking it may be either a wild cat or maybe one thats ran away from home but i'm keeping an eye out incase it scares Buttons.

when i first got the buns there were a few cats hanging around the garden, now they have realised they cant get to them they dont bother even coming into the garden anymore, and the buns have never seemed that bothered by them

Have any of you had problems with Cats taking Rabbits? I have 5 Cats and they are a bit afraid of the Rabbit if anything, they say hello, then stay out of the way, its always been like that. I have seen feral Cats with baby Rabbits, I mean a week or so old, but never ever a bigger one.
Dawn.

Nope i haven't had any problems as this is my first rabbit, since i was little and we don't get many cats in the street so when i saw it i kinda panicked although my dad did say that if the rabbit kicked the cat with it's back legs it wouldn't be coming back in a hurry :lol:

I have 8 cats and 2 house-bunnies - the cats used to try attacking the bunnies, but it turns out they're now scared of them! One of my rabbits chases the cat round the house if it comes near him!! Bunny Power!! :D

Chewy said:
Have any of you had problems with Cats taking Rabbits? I have 5 Cats and they are a bit afraid of the Rabbit if anything, they say hello, then stay out of the way, its always been like that. I have seen feral Cats with baby Rabbits, I mean a week or so old, but never ever a bigger one.
Dawn.

sam is larger than our neighbours cats, and when she is in her run, they vanish from teh scene!it's great, a si used to have "Parcels" left for me as gifts, where a snow, i have my own little "guard bunny" lol.

Deej hates cats!

In our old house he lived in a hutch. There used to be a naughty black cat that always came in the garden, and once tried to come in the house. One morning we went out in the garden to find Deej behind the shed! :shock:
Lord knows how he got out of his hutch, but the cat never came back in our garden again!

In this house (when Deej still used to live in his hutch) one night I heard a thud against the wall and a tinkle, but didn't think too much of it. When my OH cam e home he popped into the garden for a breath of unfresh air, and heard rustling in the bushes - it was Deej - he managed to get out of his hutch again and the thud I had heard was him chasing the neighbours cat and it running to get away and landing on the windowsill (to get up to the fence) a bit hard!
So if you are a cat beware of my little Deej! lord knows how he got out of his hutch, but the cat never came back in our garden again!

In this house (when Deej still used to live in his hutch) one night I heard a thud against the wall and a tinkle, but didn't think too much of it. When my OH cam e home he popped into the garden for a breath of unfresh air, and heard rustling in the bushes - it was Dee - he managed to get out of his hutch again and the thud I had heard was him chasing the neighbours cat and it running to get away and landing on the windowsill (to get up to the fence) a bit hard! :shock: :lol:

When Joey was in his run, sometimes a cat would sit on his hutch and watch Joey. I always chased the cat off, but it kept coming back. Then I used to put Joey in the Conservatory with the windows open, and the cat came through the garden a few times, but I think it learnt after a while that the rabbit wasn't coming back.

The OH reckons a cat wouldn't take on a grown rabbit anyway.

I dont think its too much to worry about, but I do think a cat could injure a rabbit, especially if you have small rabbits like nethies or lionheads. When I used to see strange cats in the garden Id spray them with water and that kept them away.

I have a house rabbit and she gets on very well with my cat, and also my foster cat.

My family (and now I) have always had at least 4 cats at any one time and have kept rabbits since I was 5, all are rescues from differing backgrounds and all learnt to respect the rabbits within hours...My 2 buns are freerange and only 2.5kg (smaller than the average cat) and have never been attacked by a cat, stalked yes, but the cat is just inquisitive by nature and soon as one of the buns turns and goes towards it the cat either will have a sniff and wander off and sit on the fence or runs like h**l! Ive lived in 5 houses since owning these two and they have met kittens, ferals and regular cats (inc ones I rehome which are mainly the 'vicious' cats noone else wants) and here at my current house the neighbour has 4 cats also and there are 5 or 6 that pass through my garden regularly with little concern for the buns (I see an all white cat yesterday, he is new and gorgeous)! :D

When i had my first bun we had a cat he'd sit by her run and guard her!!! As we lived in the countryside he liked to go hunting he was pretty good at it too when my dad used to take the caravan out there was always some kind of remains under it often rabbit feet Jess had decided to leave them as presents for us :shock: but then it was in his nature to hunt and he did eat what he caught. He was very funny when it came to the dog he used to hit her when she annoyed him :lol:

I think i was a little panicked as i only ever had buns when i was younger over 10 years ago now, and my dad would see to all there needs so now i have Buttons which i look after myself i was nervous. Although my dad said a rabbits back paws could probably do more to the cat instead :lol: Have to say i've enver seen him back since i chased him off though :D

Thats good news Kezza, Im sure if he does return, you Rabbit will see him off,....................if you dont first! :lol:
Dawn.

I must admit in the summer the kids are worse. My neighbour who we share the big garden with has 2 small grandchildren who run up and down the garden screaming, so woried tey might startle him. Maybe i coud use the water gun trick on those kids but can't see my neighbour being amused :lol:

Back