• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

licking off treatment cream

ive been given fuciderm gel by my vet for harveys skin condition. started the treatment today because i had to cut tiny bits of fur away and didnt want son to see me do it incase he thought it was ok to cut fur himself! anyways ive cleaned each seaction with antiseptic wash the vet gave me left it for 15 mins then applied the gel. which straight away harvey licked off! surely this isnt gunna help and isnt going to work on his skin! how can i get him not to lick it off? any ideas ?

Audrey always does this when I put fuciderm on her feet, so Ive started distracting her with something tasty like carrot, and usually by the time shes eaten it, shes forgotten about the cream and its had a chance to sink in.

Whats wrong with Harvey?

him and benji had a fight the other week, took him vets next day for a wound on his eye and bite on ear. anyways started to discover little bumps appearing on him over the week so took him back start of this week and vet had a look and said its some kind of infection and the bumps could feel are like dried pus. he said he didnt know exactly what it was but some rabbits can get it from a change in temperature or from grass or could be from the eye wound. loads of different reasons. he didnt state one thing. gave me some stuff and said if it didnt work to bring him back.
will try a carrot on the second attempt tonight.

The best you can do is to put bandage on, if she pulls the bandage off after some time, say 2 hr., put fresh gel on again along w/ bandage. The skin is supposed to breathe, but the healing is more important.

Back