• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange rabbit problem....

yjm_rules

New Kit
Hello
I have a lop eared rabbit. He is about six years old and is in seemingly good health. He has no problems moving around and does not seem to be ill. However, I have a two storey hutch, with a small slope separating the two levels. Upto now this has been fine and he's gone to the toilet downstairs and generally lives upstairs. Over the past two or three days he will not go up or down the slope. Whichever level you put him on is where he stays. This means he is now going to the toilet on the same level as where he lives normally. If you put food or water on the bottom say when he is on the top he will go without rather than take the trip down the slope.

I really would like to solve this problem. I'm thinking I may have to buy a new one storey hutch. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Could he be in pain and finding the slope too difficult at the moment? Have you checked him over to see if he has any cuts/bruises?

Maybe something has scared him whilst he was on the slope. Either way, I would get a vet to check him out to rule out any injuries.

HI
It may sound silly but can he still fit down the slope? My bun has a huge winter coat and put some weight on and had difficulty going through the gap to access the other slope. She was having to go at a strange angle and until I watched her closely , I didnt realise.
Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

We put non-slip matting on the slope in Squidgy's hutch, so it's easier for him to navigate.

hmmm, well that's definitely given me a few things to check tomorrow. He is a BIG rabbit but I don't know if he's any bigger now than he was say, a week ago. I'll check though! I'll also check for any injuries to him and have a look at the slope and make sure it's in good condition. I mean I have checked him already but it can't hurt to do it again. I think a vet would be a good idea, if there's no change I'll book him in.

Thanks!

It sounds like either something has happened that makes him afraid to go up and down or that he is in pain. I would suspect that it is joint pain, as Linda said. Barney (7ish) can't 'do' up and down, and had problems moving about until recently - we suspected arthritis but it is spondylosis (bridging of the spine, where the bones grow spiky bits to try and join up together). He had x-rays to get a diagnosis and is now on low dose metacam; the difference is amazing! It's definitely worth talking to your vet about him, as Barney's quality of life has been improved a huge amount.

Back