• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes please UPDATE - MONDAY

Hi went out to the shed tonight to do the usual round of cleaning, filling feeding etc. and noticed Pistachio's eye has been weeping. Her eye also looked enlarged so i went to pick her up. which she let me do so I knew something was wrong! She is half wild and normally it takes about 3 days to get all her claws clipped :lol: Anyway took her up the vets as her eye had some discharge and was quite swollen in comparison to the other one. Saw the ace vet who I normally see with the buns and she checked her teeth and said no sign of an abscess or any dental problems which is good. She thinks it could be just an infection or it could be a tumour behind the eye. So she gave her an antibiotic jab and me some metacam to give her for the next couple of days. Then I have to take her back friday morning (more time out of work :( good job I am head teacher!) when she is booked in for a GA just in case they need to ecplore further. I am hoping its just an infection but she was saying about having to maybe cut below the eye or even take the eye out! :( So not sure. I thought maybe she had just bashed it but the vet seemed a lot more pessimistic. Quite scared now, she is such a healthy little thing, no probs at all. Anyway get well vibes would be appreciated if there are any going spare, I know there are a lot of buns with much more serious probs.
Heres a pic of her just so you know what she looks like!! (She is the agouti on the right) x Jess
DSCN0483.jpg

Awwwwwwwww she`s very pretty.
Sending buckets loads of positive vibes her way.....................
Fingers crossed it isn`t too serious.

Su.x

Vibes please *update*

Taken her back to the vets this morning, her eye is worse so they will put her under a GA and investigate but think she will prob lose the eye. just hope I don't lose her. :(

Have everything crossed for her........................................
Sending bucket loads of positive vibes for her & supportive hugs to you.

Su.x

So sorry to hear the latest news. Hope the outcome is good. Healing vibes winging their way through the ether.....

Ok, so collected her at about 6.30pm. She has lost the eye :( and has a drain in at the moment so it looks pretty horrific. Am sure it looks worse than it is. They have given her long lasting pain killers and antibiotics. They actually had 2 vets operating on her, and they are both fab with rabbits so it couldn't have been better. Apparently they managed to lance and flush the abscess out really well, and opened a capsule of antibiotic and put that in the wound too. They think it was caused by pasteurella, she said from the smell of the pus thats what it was. Which is not good, but she said that buns can have it from birth and you just don't know until something like this happens. One of the vets has apparently done a few ops like this and she said this one went really well, the vet i spoke to said not many people go for this option, they normally just have the bun PTS so she is really interested to see how pistachio recovers. So just have to see. Haven't seen her eat much yet she is pretty quiet but moving around well and sitting with her now blind eye on the inside so she can see out. I will keep her in over the weekend as I don't want the others ripping the drain out. She has to go back monday to have the drain removed and another jab if she needs it, a little worried about how soon to put her back outside with the others after that. Not sure if she will need the stitches over the eye removed or if they have glued it, the drain is in the way at the mo. ummm. So i guess its just a case of wait and see. I hope she recovers ok and the abscess doesn't come back but am I aware that it might.
Thanks to everyone and bun who has sent good vibes, if I could ask for a few more this weekend that would be fab. All my animals seem to keep breaking at the mo, its strange how we go through these patches of problems.
x Jess

Well so far she hasn't eaten anything I can see and certainly hasn't poohed. So i have just syringe fed her, but how much and how often do i need to do this? I think if she hasn't eaten something by herself by the morning i will take her in again and see if they can give her an appetite stimulant. i had one for another bun and it seemed to kick start him eating (he later died from stasis :( ) So any ideas how often and how much i need to syringe in?

buttons&thumper said:
Well so far she hasn't eaten anything I can see and certainly hasn't poohed. So i have just syringe fed her, but how much and how often do i need to do this? I think if she hasn't eaten something by herself by the morning i will take her in again and see if they can give her an appetite stimulant. i had one for another bun and it seemed to kick start him eating (he later died from stasis :( ) So any ideas how often and how much i need to syringe in?

My vets always tell me little and often is better. They routinely say between 5mls and 10mls every 2 hours, or between 2mls and 5mls every hour. If she hasn't eaten in the morning I would INSIST on a gut stimulant as syringing for that amount of time without success would need a gut stimulant, IMHO.

Good luck!

AMETHYST

thinking of you.
I had to syringe feed one of the rescue buns for 3 days and nights..vet said he wouldn't make it..but he did :D so keep thinking postive thoughts.

Also aswell as your buns normal food try offering mashed apple...mashed banana, grated carrot and some porridge oats mixed with cooled boiled water..all of these things seperately ..leave them near to bun..like humans they can fancy something softer when feeling low.
Good luck xx

Back