• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sick rabbit?

unalakey

Mama Doe
My rabbit 'Lily' isnt well, i fed her this morning and she looked fine when i returned from work at dinnertime i let her out (from the shed) to have some frretime in the garden but she didnt come out (very unusual) when i looked in the shed i couldnt find her but then spotted her lay down at the back behind a big cushion, i picked her up and she just went back behind the cushion, her food from this morning had not been eaten, i left her a minute to sort Charlie's playhouse as i was putting him back out after his castration yesterday. When i went back to check Lily she was lay flat out and i actually thought she was dead :shock: she was very still and floppy and her eyes were closed, i picked her up and put her in the pet carrier and immediately phoned the vets who told me to bring her down straight away. When i arrived at the vets she had perked up and was sat up, i am now confused, the vet was dealing with an emergency so they have admitted Lily. I am waiting for them to phone me :? Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Oh I'm sorry I have no idea what could be wrong with Lily...
Healing vibes for her though
((((((hugs for Lily)))))))
karen x

Sometimes animals seem to perk up just when you get to the vets. This is often because they are in unfamilar surroundings. Lot's of things could be making her unwell but the most common is stasis, though this can be a secondary symptom of something else. Hopefully the vets with give her a once over and see what they can detect and treat her to encourage her guts to keep working and get her eating again.

Well done for the speedy emergency trip to the vets, it can make all the difference to get that done straight away instead of a "wait and see approach" :)

Tam

I wondered about statis, i just hope she's not pretending just to get sympathy like 'Charlie' who was neutered yesterday :oops:

Lily is back from the vets and feeling better, she has been given metacam and baytril and i have been told to keep my eye on her, she has eaten and is pooing although she is a little quieter than usual. The vet wasent sure what was wrong but she is alot brighter than she was earlier so fingers crossed no more scares :)

Back