• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tilly very poorly, help needed. Becki is too upset to post!

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
Hi guys, I have just been chatting to a very distressed Beckiboo, regarding Tilly. As many of you may know Tilly has been having fits recently and has rapidly deteriorated over the last week. Becki took her to the vets last night and the news isn't good. Right now Becki is too upset to post and also stated that this makes it feel too real, which I can totally understand. So I am doing it on her behalf and we are looking for any ideas or experience on Tilly's condition. The vet seems to think that she may now have a tumour on the brain and described Tilly as "not knowing where her feet are". She has also now gone blind. Becki's own words were this "Well in the last week she's gone downhill something shocking, It looks like a fast growing brain tumor. She's lost co-ordination, her mind doesnt know where her front feet are, therefore they are stopping working, and shes gone blind".

The vet has put Tills on a 9 day course of panacur 18.75% to rule out e.cuniculi and now shes on antibiotics. they ar due to see the vet again on Monday.

As you can all understand this is a terrible situation to be in and really Becki is looking for any information that may be helpful, or any experience people may have had of this situation.

Also can we all keep Becki and Tilly in our thoughts and prayers and send vibes for them. To top it all Becki is poorly too right now so as many vibes as poss!

Poor Becki,

She loves her bunnies so much. I can't beleive this is happening to her....it's so unfair.

Please send her and Tills lots and lots of love and positive vibes from me and Harvey.

Love and hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Sorry i can`t offer any advice but please let Becki know i am thinking of her & Tilly.
MASSIVE HUGS TO THEM BOTH.................................

Su.x

It is more likely to be EC than a brain tumour. A 9 day course of panacur isnt enough, she would need a full 28 day course. Has the vet given her any anti-inflamatories such as dexafort or dexadresen, if not I would suggest trying it as these may help a lot? When she is having a bad fit I would suggest her vet administers a diazapam injection as this calms them down and helps bring them out of the fit.
Which antibiotics did the vet give her? Engemycin (or some other form of oxytetracycline) is the best for EC related problems.

I'm more inclined to think tumour or abscess in the brain. I agree that Tilly would need antibiotics and also a steriod.
The not knowing where her feet are I have seen a lot with buns who have had tumours :cry: :cry:
Panacur is also vital to take as well as metacam if the vet will not give a steriod - the metacam would help take down any inflammation.
Make sure that Tilly eats and drinks and is passing - also, nurse her as much as possible as if she is blind then she will be totally confused and this will add to her problems :(
I am sending all the positive vibes that I can - poor Tilly and poor Becki :( Thinking of you both and hoping and praying that Tilly can improve.

Thanks so Much Guys :cry: The vet seems to think it's something more like a tumor than ec, which I think has been ruled out now :? It's breaking my heart, it really is :cry: :cry: :cry: X

Becki I am so sorry I really am I hope Tilly can get over whatever this is I cant offer any advice because I dont have the knowledge but I am thinking of you both XX

Back