• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ooh eck Help! My girls are fighting?

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
Well I don't know what is going on in Bunnyland here tonight. I did my normal nightly round and tucked Princess Caramel and Littlebun up for the night! All well with husband and wife. Then I went up to my baby girls and it has all kicked off. I walked in the room. Fur everywhere and Lily chasing Maisy round for no reason. Poor Maisy is looking quite shocked. I don't know what has got in to Lily. They have been together since they were 10 weeks and all was well! Now Lily has taken a dislike to her? Any ideas? Is it just an adolescent hormonal thing. they are about 18 weeks now?

I'd say it is likely to be hormones kicking off. My Vet has spayed Does that young before if the Bun is big enough (1kg+) If Lily is at puberty then she should be 'mature' enough to spay

:? :? :?

Janex

Our 2 sisters have moments like that. Maisy will have an off-day as i put it, :lol: :lol: and she will snap at anything that moves. including Daisy....

There have been so many does lost to spays lately that I am too terrified to put them through it. I know that is bad but I don't know what I would do if they didn't cme back.All I seem to hear lately is does not coming through spay anaesthetics :(

catswhiskas said:
There have been so many does lost to spays lately that I am too terrified to put them through it. I know that is bad but I don't know what I would do if they didn't cme back.All I seem to hear lately is does not coming through spay anaesthetics :(

Isn't it something like 80% get cancer if they DON'T get spayed?

Also, I think someone told me that it's an easier op if they are younger cos they have less fat.

I hope their hormones come down I didn't want mine spayed at that age either! I put them in cages side by side till Hunni's hormones went down - took a week - then they were fine together again. Hunni is still hormonal from time to time!

I think its the best idea to have doe's spayed. Thumper was spayed at 5months and she is fit as a fiddle. Recovered the evening she came home and she has gone back to being her normal happy contented bunny :D

Hope the girls settle down. They sound like my two daughters! Hmmmm wonder if spaying would help them :lol: :lol:

Oh goodness I'd def get them spayed. There have been some tragic losses on here recently BUT the risks of Cancer/Pyometra/Uterine Haemorrhages are MUCH greater.
Also, from the hormonal behaviour point of view it will be less stressful for the girls once spayed. I am only expressing a personal opinion but I truely believe that it is much more risky NOT to spay than to spay.
If you really search for a compitent Rabbit Vet, one who regularly spays Bunnies and who uses the more 'up-to-date' methods of wound closure (INTERNAL sutures), gives post GA Metoclopromide and Analgesia etc your girls will be much happier and healthier longterm.

Some of the losses on here were, IMO, due to poor Veterinary Care. Something which should NOT have happened :cry:

Janex

catswhiskas said:

I know how you feel and I was so scared about having Furby done last week, but she's had no problems at all. The thing is that we all tend to post when we are having health problems with our buns, so it does seem a bit one sided. So I wonder if we could all post if we had happy outcomes from spay ops and give Catswhiskas some confidence about making that decision. Perhaps a POLL?

Thats a great idea. I just feel as though, taking them, I would be putting them on death row. I have had so many losses as bunnies are such delicate creatures, and I just couldn't face putting them through it you know. I know what you are all saying, I just feel so terrified about the whole thing. Having Bucks done seems so much easier. My bucks have always gone and been done quite happily, but for does it is a much more intrusive op and it scares the hell out of me. Princess Caramel has been done but her previous owner did that and I didn't have to go through to worry.

I am too scared too to take my little Twinkle to be spayed. She is around six months or so now but I just cant bring myself to dial the vets number :cry:

Please get your girls spayed guys - it really is the best for them and I don't say this lightly having just lost Bilbo post spay - BUT - it wasn't the spay that killed her, she had been living in such bad conditions before she came to us that her lungs had got too weak to cope and that is the only reason she died - your buns sound loved and fit and healthy so should come through their spays well. Like others have said they do seem to cope better younger - again Bilbo was about 3.5 years old, Bluebell and Liakin went in at the same time as her, younger and fitter and they are absolutely fine - pulled through no probs.x

Back