• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

back from exotic vet today...

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
First of..THANK YOU GEM!! FOR COMING IN WITH ME FOR SUPPORT! And for helping me with the steps! :lol:

Rob was prety straight talking and at one point i got flustered thinking he was fobbing me off but i realise i was a bit stressed to say the least..it had been trickygetting there and i wasnt having a good day blackouts wise.
He was very thorough with Bif and weighed her and even clipped her rear as just before i put her in the carrier she left the two hugest balls of soft poo and had sat in another.oh my god the state of her..all i could do is pull off what i could and then use sqeaky clean instant shampoo and wipes anda tissue or two to clean her up!

he was very helpful..printed off all the tests she requires and estimated the prices for me too..comes to over £500!! and if they did do the lparotomy it would be very riskyindeed.

he said it could be cancerous or benign blodwork wouldnt show it but it would show hormones if a bit of ovarian tissue had remained as it often can do. he said a fecal sample to be tested for blood/parasites/bacteria

2 diff types of xrays and an ultrasound (which buns have to be sedated for..raspberry to that trainee lady veyt at horndean!

he doesnt think its her bladder but could be womb stump or intestines but he could only feel that lump way down..he said he hadnt seen it himself before in a bunny..
he asked if shed been losing a lot of weight which would mark for cancer for sure..i didnt really know as she shes soo fluffy and a bit chunky ive been told..but theyve never put her weight on her hcarts until that day i took her to see matthew at hdean vets for a diff opinion as i thought i knew more than the trainee vet! bout bunnies anyhoo!

Rob said it was odd she felt like she had a tummy full of food contents..3 vets have said that now..he suggested putting her on bio lapis for at least 3 weeks and he got some down..ooh ive got that at home i yelled..ive given it to her for a fortnight befoe..but he said min of 3 weeks..
horndean vets dont even stock any protexin stuff for bunnies even tho i mentioned the fibreplex paste when i first saw it whilst buying the bio lapis one day..rolls eyes!

Rob said animed was cheaper..i know ive got pet plan but ive got to get the cash upfront first!

im a bit more relaxed as he did explain that at the monet he basic tests were enough bronze level he called it! gold level probs was laparotomy! he thought she was at bronze right now.

i though oh god i cant do this ill go to horndean vets as i can take his letter and ask for the same but i dont want to i want tosee a bunyn savvy vet unfortuanetly rob is too far away for me.the nurse on the desk is soo nice and helpful..i really would like to go there but i know i cant..
animed is only a lttle clinic all ops go travelling..horndean do little ops the rest go travelling bout 10 miles to petersfield branch..ive no idea how far away animed are probably wickham!

my only prob is where to go in an emergency..if i go to animed and theres an emergency.weekend out of hours..what the heck do i do!!
at least horndean i can get to petersfield in a taxi and b broke forever more!

i think best thing to do is ask to speak to petra at animed tomorrow..i would have today but i was having loadsa blackouts andspeech probs by time i got home..i get mistaken for being drunk or high when im like that! :oops: :lol:

Gem i am very grateful to you for telling me how bad she was when you met her..when she was leonie..
My poor Bif.. i thought my mum was going to say well itd be worth it if she was sociable and affectionate like oscar..cos i know its what shes thinking im sure..but she has a soft spot for her so i dont think shed say it even if she thought it..id yell at her! But she did say..see i told you these sick bad treated rabbits..theyre never anygood..um mum..go home!!- :evil:

Bifs capable of being sociable and loving she started to after 6 months of having her..then oscar died and shes never been the same..

i havent let her n bertie out of their camp..and the kitties are really missing them but i figured bif needed some peace..im going tolet them out for a few hours in the afternoon/early evening..not that they will do anything but sleep somewhere else! No investigating no noseying its very sad she used to run around with oscar..the nearest thing she has to that skittenish behaviour is the kitties..which is fine as long as they dont get her too involved in their playtime sessions.they are at th worst stage ever right now..pre neuter/spay..in other words..unruly teens!!
for the kitties i have a water pistol on hand always for them never mind the rabbits afety..ive got 2 idiots kittens they dont know what hot is or thats sharp or dont chew that!! but when they get to noisy for the buns i squirt just past the kitties to move them..if they arent fullof kitty games they curl up near the buns or amongst tehm and all 4 go to sleep togehter..its so cute..and bif does like toplay tag with them..but with all the vet visits lately i just wanted to keep her quiet which maybe wrong because shes scared again like she was when i got her..she thinks any contact means vets or meds and she doesnt trust me anymore..even bertie protects her from me!

Right im off to do some net surfing to find out the meanings of these big long words on the tests cos i forgot already what he said they were!
catch up later.

thank you..lets hope so.
I am taking Bif to see robs wife at a different practice nearer me..touies vet in fact!
Fingers crossed we can progress from here.
I have to add the first thing i asked the receptionist was whether or not they stocked protexin bio lpais etc and she said of course they do with bunnies being so popular.
hmmph st peters dont..dont see the need! :roll:

update saw vet today..omg!

thank you Gem and Touie..i tok bif to petra and realised id known her for a wile back..she used to work at the pdsa and shes the one who said " i dont really know much about cats" and yet she was the one who got our old gal sent for a kidney op which gave her another full happyyear of life!!
I have to say shes learnt a liot more since then..pmsl
But she was fantastic with bif..she read the tests rob had advised and then wanted me to start fromt he very beginning way back..
She said poor Bif was suffering terrible traumatisiation from all the events that had gone on since oscar and her getting gi stasis and him dying within 2 days..being found with his lifeless body..pining..meeting bertie..bonding..then the stupid flood..and the drying stuff that made us all so miserable and ill.
She asked if bifs hay eating was ok..i said not like it used to be even with a stoppage of pellets and frsh foods..
I said it wasnt long since she had her dental about a month i think..
i said its always her left teeth..turned out shed had her RIGHT molars burred and her left ones were very big and hurting her mouth..im so peeved right now im spitting feathers!
On my way to the taxi i scooped up two diff sets of bif poo and ran out the door..
petra took them to test and when we lifted bif out..there was a tiny cecal lump which she also took for sampling..
Bif has got to have ANOTHER dental..on the correct side of her mouth..and have tummy xrays taken whilst shes under as well as a blood test.
See how hard was that.. :D

im impressed how rabbit savvy she is..and get this..the whole time she was examning Bif she was stroking her and talking sothingly to her.and Bif had her ears down..yes down like a regualr lop ALL the time! She only lets her ears hang when shes comfortable and relaxed! :shock:

the only downside of this practice is that out of hours and emergencies have to go to the hospital at shedfield near wickham..and i dont drive cos im epileptic :(
can anyone recommend a pet ambulance/transport service that might be able to cope on short notice..like the same day? just in case!

i asked if it was ok for bertie to go with and stay with her..the receptionist just loked at me and aid..of course.shell get ever so stressed out if you dont she needs him for support..
i didnt feel stupid or looked down on for asking like i usually do!

bifs going in on the 8th feb..and i was told no panacur/bio lapis till tests are back.

I'm so glad things are moving forward for the little lady :love:

She's a completely different rabbit from the last time I saw her, she's grown up so much :)

Fingers crossed you get things sorted for her :D

glad things went well! :D Having to go to shedfield is a REAL PAIN! It's a great hospital and I've only had to do it twice out of hours I think, and I've managed to get my dad to drive me each time or else I'd never find it :shock: :lol:

Oh Touie dont im dreading to think how ill get there..but ive found the pets to vets telephone number and see they do a 24hr emergency service..i will ring em monday to verify that heavens forbid i need to get bif there then they can take me.

Oh Gem..shes soo lovely bless her..tonite she showed me soo much affection i nealry cried..i had my little girl back that i hadnt sen for a long long time..
She kept running along the dog crate coming up to the end to get our attention this afternoon and seemed chuffed everytime we called her and spoke to her. This evening about half an hour or so after bedding nikki down for thenight..getting our poor on heat kitty in her dog pen and giving salem some fresh water..i sat down adn started to watch tv.
Bif came dashing up and i caled her and she ran up and down the end of the pen..so i got on my stomach and was talking to her..she kissed me back through the bars on my nose after letting me give her a kiss on her nose. She then let me rub er nose through the bars..i was sooo happy. Then she kept doing daft dashes to make me cal out to her more..she then binkied and ran headfirst intot he end of the litter tray! I laughed and called her silly..and made a right royal idiot of myself chating to her to which she ran and binkied again..i cannot remember the last time i ever saw her biky..how sad is that!
then i was going past the pen part and she rushed up to the litter tray on that side to get my attention and she let me strokme her head for ages..and i mean really stroke it..bertie came up and i stroked him to and she pushed him out the way so she could get another nose rub too. I nearly melted!!
I gave them their pelets and she begged for her super with bertie it was soo cute. salem was jealous and rubed the bars placing himself between us and she just waited and pushed her nose through to geta nsosey rub and then sniffed him too.
she motioned that she wanted to come out!! Then she changed her mind and went all coy. Bythe time shed had another snuggle with bertie she wasnt talking to me again..but i was soo happy from the interaction shed just had with me it wasamazing!!

I always stop pelelt food for a few days when tummy upsets are bad..i cut out veggies too for even longer and i feed as mush hay as i can fit in..but it never realy seems to help bif..i did it again the night before she saw petra..i told her i had and then that night i gave them some ss and then each nite its ss but the smaller portion ive had them on for a while.
today the online groceries came and my mum had an organic romane lettuce and carrots..i beged for two tiny tops about 2 inches acroos and 3 inches dep for each of the buns and a carrot nub each.
the lettuce was at midday.the carrot at tea time..more hay in between and before they had their pellets.
a
bif is still not eating as much hay as she does and shes spinning round to eat her soft poos off the floor again..dental for sure!
fancy burring the wrong teeth i mean really!! :rollseyes:
BTW this evening ebfore all that we witnessed bif chasing bertie in an almost fruity manner and they wentroundand round and ended up in one litter tray togehter before settling down for a snugglefest! she had a lot of white fur hanging from her grinningchops!
shes gone quite agin and hunched up again so i guess her tummys sore again..or shes cold! if she waddled a few feet into the crate theres a mattress with fake sheepskin one side as well as a cushion doggy bed!! plus that big white warm thing called bertie!
i think maybe she knows shes going to get treatment she needs at last and is happy not to be left like this..shes not had painkillers for almost a week as they make her tummy worse!
oh and to top it all bifs had the entertainment of our kitten coming into seson early.at 5 months old..and shes soo tiny for her age..we keep yanking herbrother off but shes had to go in a doggy crate..shes rubbing against everything and has been beggingbertie for some attention! roll on tuesday when they get done..then bifffy on thursday...lol itll be an animal convalescence home! :lol:

Back