• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pain relief-herbal alternatives?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
As some of you may know Harvey suffers from dental problems.

When he has pain he is put on metacam but I worry about the side effects of long term use.

I have been wondering whether there are any herbal alternatives that can be used for mild pain relief.

L O L,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hi Jane :wave: ,

I'm glad Meg is doing so well...she's such a dear. I think of her every day and wonder how she's getting on.Please give her lots of fuss from me.

L O L,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Morning Jane :D ,

Have looked through those websites.

The herbs that are mentioned for pain control are:

Chamomile- it's flower is a famed blood cleanser and pain reducer.

Willow bark- Contains salicin. An effective pain reliever for anything

Sunflower - Sunflower seeds are the best source of Phenylaline, a chemical involved in pain control.

Have you ever used any of these herbs with positive results Jane?

As far as the Willow bark goes I don't think Harv would find that easy to eat.

Chamomile is pretty easy to get hold of as they sell it in big bags at equestrian shops- but how much to use?

Sunflower- do you break the seeds open and remove the insides?

Sending you hugs. I knwo you're having a tough time with Muirne. Harveys having a bad time aswell.

L O L,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

The only thing I have used is Camomile in the form of tea. I have found it useful for bunnies with tummy ache. I make it with warm water and some mint. It seems quite soothing. I am not sure of the efficacy of Herbal products INSTEAD of conventional meds but I certainly use it as a COMPLIMENTARY treatment.

The thing with any drug is that they all have side-effects. But you and your Vet need to weigh up these with the benefits. A Bun with any form of chronic pain needs convential analgesia IMO as quality of life is more important than quantity. I have had several Bunnies prescribed well above the 'normal' dose of Metacam as they had severe pain not controlled by the standard dose. None of the Buns had adverse side-effects.
Obviously this is just my personal opinion but I would rather use conventional medication supported by complimentary treatments.
I am sorry Harvey is not too good at the moment :cry:

Janex

Thanks Jane :D ,

It's so difficult. Obviously I want the pain to be under control at the same time I worry that over time it will be damaging.

Have you used metacam over a long period of time? Harvey is not even two years old and I worry that it will damage his organs.

L O L,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I have had Buns on Metacam for months on end and at a high dose. But these Buns have been elderly so obviously any potential adverse effects although still a concern, are not as significant than with a very young Rabbit.

Janex

The painkiller in willow bark is very similar to aspirin, so it would have similar side affects such as potential gut upset, etc. I've never heard of chamomile for pain relief, only for soothing the stomach.

I agree with Jane that I prefer conventional medicine with herbals, etc., supporting them. Do keep in mind that herbal drugs can have side affects too but they aren't as well known because they haven't been studied. My husband has had some wierd side affects from taking herbal meds including dizzyness and constant sweating like a pig. :shock:

I have not yet heard of herbal meds that are better for pain relief than prescription meds. If they exist, they'd be quickly controlled by pharmaceutical companies and regulated by the government. Just a thought.

naturestee said:
I have not yet heard of herbal meds that are better for pain relief than prescription meds. If they exist, they'd be quickly controlled by pharmaceutical companies and regulated by the government. Just a thought.

...like Cannabis!! :shock: Not that I am advocating its use of course....

Janex

:rabbit2: :lol:.... Bless his cottons. Am in the process of looking for a nubile young wifelet for him.

When I've bought Moffat in to see Harvey on the days he's been really miserable it has really cheered the little lad up. Primrose is gorgeous but she very often likes to do her own thing so maybe another wifelet would cheer him up.

I think he has a thing for the voluptuous ladies :lol: ......
f565979d.jpg

L O L,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Moffat is a complete Moddum and is bonded to Ted so it would be unfair to split the pair but Harvey absolutely adores her and gets very excited when I bring her in to see him. When he's having a bad day it really cheers him up.

Moffat was an RSPCA bun that was due to be pts as she had been kept at a local vets for 6 months awaiting a place in a rescue. The vets felt it unfair to keep her there couped in a small cage for any longer and she, along with 8 other buns were going to be pts.

I found out about it and we managed to find homes for the 8 but Moffat was left so I took her. I don't know why nobody wanted Moffta as she's a real cutie.
DSCF0002.jpg

da454281.jpg

d5b987c1.jpg

4a1945ce.jpg

She was overweight when she came to me from being couped up all day.... as you can see from the pics ....a real pooding :D

She's a real madam, very bossy and dominant but for some reason she's fine around Harvey. I love her punky hairdo...she definately has attitude :lol:

L O L,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Back