• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I found a hamster in my kitchen!!!!

toffee

Mama Doe
Funny thing happened last night. I came downstairs for a drink of pop and saw something big and furry run across my kitchen so I screamed. my boyfriend came downstairs to find out what was wrong. I said "It's a rat, it's a rat!!! It really is a rat!!! It's not a mouse!!!!" Then ran upstairs to hide. 5 minutes later David calls me to come down. A bit anxious I asked what he'd done with it and he said he'd caught it but it was ok, it wasn't a rat. When I said but it was big, that wasn't a mouse, he said no it's not a mouse either, it's a gerbil or something! I thought you're mad, it's gotta be a rat or a big mouse but when I looked it was a big sodding hamster!!!

So I now have a hamster in a fish tank in the spare room until I can go and get him some better accommodation. How bizarre is that?!

Very weird! :lol: Have you checked none of your neighbours are missing him? Hamsters are very good escape artists.

I'm going to ask my neighbour who has a small boy whether it's theirs or not but they've never mentioned having a hamster.

He's looks a bit worse for wear - he's bright eyed which is good but his coat is dusty with big chunks missing from it. I've kept hamsters before so I know what I'm doing. Assuming I can't find his original owner he will have a good home with us. :D .

I haven't had chance to handle him yet but I'll have a go tonight. How he responds should give some indication of whether he's recently escaped or not.

He must have been hungry because he had eating big chunks out of 4 raw potatoes in my kitchen! :? :roll:

I assume he is a hamster not a vole - they look like smaller hamsters in a browny-grey agouti colour (some species have shorter tails than others and can look quite hamsterish).

I had one drop in through a celler window at my in-laws one day and being the family small-furry expert was called in to deal :wink: - ended up doing my final year uni project on them!

Caz

Caz said:
I assume he is a hamster not a vole - they look like smaller hamsters in a browny-grey agouti colour (some species have shorter tails than others and can look quite hamsterish).

I had one drop in through a celler window at my in-laws one day and being the family small-furry expert was called in to deal :wink: - ended up doing my final year uni project on them!

Caz

No deffo a syrian hamster and he's massive!!!!

I had mice in my cupboards recently and was horrified. It was a good slimming device as I stayed out of the kitchen

raine said:
I had mice in my cupboards recently and was horrified. It was a good slimming device as I stayed out of the kitchen

We've got mice at the moment and it's awful, one ran across the living room floor last night as we were watching tv. Off to buy more traps later :(

I once came hame frm visitin friends and thr was a little mouse type thing sitting on my door step, thr was a big bit of waste ground at the back so I jst assumed he was a field mouse thing. I jst left him cuz I didn't want 2 touch him cuz he was so small, incase he was a baby and whn he found his way home his mum attacked him cuz of my scent or sumthing. Then when I was tellin my cousin she said he was more likely a baby gerbil, cuz he let me crouch right down beside him practically nose 2 nose and wasn't timid at all. I went back out to get him but he'd gone and I felt awful incase a cat got him or sumthing!

Oh and it was in the local paper here a few years ago, thr's a street that's all pretty old tenement style flats. A lady went out of her kitchen through to her living room, and jst as she did she heard a big thud in the kitchen, opened the door again and found a 6FT PYTHON on her lino. Whoever was called and took it away, and a request was put out for the owner. Turns out there was a man who had lost his snake in the next block a few yrs before. It had been living inbetween the wall cavities and in the loft munching on mice and birds and stuff, but it had got too heavy and so came down through the ceiling!

Makes you think more about wht those creaks and bangs ur house makes are eh...................... :lol:

kayjay said:
We've got mice at the moment and it's awful, one ran across the living room floor last night as we were watching tv. Off to buy more traps later :(

Humane ones, I hope! :)

AMETHYST

Back