• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not wanting to put front foot on the floor

HS

Wise Old Thumper
Morning all
Squidgy is fine in himself, eating, drinking, pooing etc. but I have noticed this morning that he's been sat with his left front foot slightly off the floor. I've had a good look at it and a tentative feel. He doesn't whince or move it away when I touch it, can't see anything stuck in the bottom and have just given his nails a quick trim, but he's still doing it.
He doesn't seem to be having a problem getting around, although he's not quite as active as he normally is in the morning. He's been in and out of his litter tray though.
I can't think of what it might be, other than some sort of muscle strain? Am I missing something?
I'm at work all day, but the o/h can take him to the vets if necessary.

Has he had a VHD vaccination in the last few days? If not then he may have an infection in between his toes or some-where on his foot. Or if he shows no pain when you put pressure around his foot the problem may be higher up , a muscle or ligament strain or arthritis in his shoulder/neck. I would get the Vet to check him over. Hope his poorly leg is soon better

Janex

if its not because of a VHD jab, perhaps he has sprained it? Hann did this once when I think he jumped and landed awkwardly. i was panicking about whether to take him to the vet, but decided to wait a couple of hours and after that time he was fine again.

You could always arrange an appointment for later and take him in if it hasnt gone?

Thanks for your thoughts.
He still seems reluctant to put it on the floor sometimes, but he has been cleaning himself, leaning on that leg when cleaning his right leg and clambering up the side of a basket. Still keeping an eye on it though.

Loopy had this the other day and a black toenail. He put his foot back down normally after 24 hours but i am taking him to the vets today as still not 100%. Its a tough call to make when to take them to the vets isnt it? Hope he's showing signs of improvement soon x

aww do go see the vet..our first house bun had exactly same symptoms..the vet had to xray her foot thought it was broken..turned out to be a very basty sprain..
how did she do it..wel jumping on and off furniture..the windowsill off the back of the setteee to sit on the sill with the 3 cats..she did it everyday the monster!
she used to sit on top of our high ed settee and launch hersefl through the air likea huge white flying squireel1 then shed land in the lounge doorway right across the other side of the room.she then ran back and di it again and again till she got bored with it..it was a daily thing and ihad to move my whole lounge around to TRYand stop her!
have you checked for any swellings or redness around a toenail or a sweeling on the foot..? either way foot needs checking.

Checked everything. It feels no different to the other leg/ foot, and he doesn't react when I touch it. He's using it as normal, but sometimes holds it slightly off the floor.
Purplebumble, what did the vet do for the sprain?

metacam was prescribed and i had to give her cage rest and keep taking her back so the vet culd check it( she never charged me for check ups like that..follow ups they were rabbit savy vets..shes left that practice now tho sadly)
oh and the vet gave her some anti inflamatory shots to help the swelling even tho i couldnt feel anything the vet could and showed me where it was.
she never jumped on my bed for a cudle ever again..she didnt like jumping up on much after that..her paw was always a bit sore being a free running house bun with stairs!

Just got back from the vet, the vet couldn't feel anything wrong, but gave an anti-inflammatory, as she suspects it's just a sprain.

Thanks.
He was a real tart at the vets! He was grooming the vets' hand - of course she fell madly in love with him!

Back